One Dead In Friday Shooting

By Lauren PondThe Daily Northwestern

A drive-by shooting in Evanston left a Chicagoan dead and an Evanston resident wounded this weekend, police said.

Police arrested a 22-year-old Chicago man who was driving a car matching the description of the one involved in the shooting, but as of Saturday, no charges had been filed, according to an Evanston Police Department media release. Police declined to comment on Sunday.

Police found a semi-automatic handgun and ammunition magazine near where the man was arrested.

Booker Guy, 21, of Chicago, and Jarron Jackson, 23, of Evanston, were standing with some friends in an alley in the 2000 block of Darrow Avenue just before midnight Friday when a car pulled up, the release said. The car’s driver then lowered the passenger-side window, fired several shots into the group and drove off, police said.

Guy, of the 7300 block of South Hoyne Avenue, was shot in the abdomen and died after emergency surgery at Evanston Hospital, the release said. Jackson, of the 600 block of Hull Terrace, was shot in his left hand and thigh and was released from the hospital after treatment.

The shooting was still under investigation as of Saturday, the release said.

This was the first killing reported by EPD this year. Between 2000 and 2005, Evanston has had between one and three murders per year.

“That’s another loss for our community,” Ald. Delores Holmes (5th) said. The shooting occurred in her ward.

The shooting took place a block from the Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center, 1655 Foster St., where Holmes holds her monthly ward meetings.

It happened the night before a safety meeting – sponsored by the city, Evanston/Skokie School District 65, Evanston Township High School, and Northwestern – held at Evanston Township High School, 1600 Dodge Ave.

“The shooting occurred hours before we met to talk about working toward a safer Evanston,” Holmes said.

Hundreds of people, including several NU students, attended the meeting, titled “Partnering Toward a Safer Evanston.”

Holmes said she was not planning to do anything special to respond to the shooting.

Evanston resident Philip Brown, of the 2000 block of Darrow Avenue, said he lives just a few houses down from where the fatal shooting occurred.

Brown, 53, said he went outside after he heard shots and saw emergency workers trying to revive one of the victims in an ambulance at the scene.

“He didn’t look like he was breathing to me,” Brown said.

Brown said he has been living in the neighborhood for many years and knows almost everyone there. He said the area is feeling the effects of Friday night’s fatal shooting.

“The whole neighborhood feels bad,” he said.

The Daily’s Greg Hafkin contributed to this report.

Reach Lauren Pond at [email protected].