Defending National Champs Open Season With Matchup Against Team USA (Lacrosse)

The quest for a three-peat has officially begun.

After being named No. 1 in the 2007 preseason NCAA poll this past week, Northwestern headed down to Orlando, Fla. for an early season tune-up with America’s best: Team USA.

The Wildcats split two weekend contests, defeating the developmental team 11-9. In the latter game against the Team USA Elites, the Cats took a lead into the second half, but could not hold on, falling 12-7.

The USA Elites had some familiar faces, including 2006 NU alum and current assistant coach Lindsey Munday and classmate Sarah Albrecht. The Cats also saw some familiar faces from last year’s final four run including Dartmouth grad Devon Wills and Duke alum Katie Chrest.

Aussie sophomore Hannah Nielsen gave the Cats an early 1-0 lead at the 25-minute mark, off an assist from senior Kristen Kjellman.

Kjellman, who was awarded the Teewaraton Trophy for the top women’s lacrosse player in the country last season, is a member of the Elites’ roster, but played for the Cats.

Senior All-American Aly Josephs started off her final season in purple on a strong note, scoring three goals in the first half against the Elites, to give NU a 5-4 halftime lead.

The Cats struggled to maintain the slim lead in the second half, as sophomore Hilary Bowen’s goal at the 18-minute mark put NU up 7-6.

But from that point on, it was all Team USA. The Elites scored six goals in the final 12 minutes, led by Penn State alum Michelle DeJuliis and Maryland alum Quinn Carney, who scored two goals apiece.

On the defensive end, sophomore NU goalkeeper Morgan Lathrop was tested early and often, playing all 60 minutes of the exhibition en route to 12 saves.

With back-to-back NCAA championships to its credit and only one loss in their last 42 contests, the Cats hold one of the toughest schedules in the nation, with notably more home matchups than in past seasons.

NU will open its regular season in Chapel Hill, N.C. on February 17th against No. 10 North Carolina. The Tar Heels are the first of nine top-20 teams that NU will face this season.

-Chris Gentilviso