Team Sits At No. 9 As Dual Season Begins (Women’s Tennis)

By Jake SimpsonThe Daily Northwestern

After a strong preseason capped off with stellar performances in its final two tournaments, Northwestern will kick off its dual season tomorrow against DePaul at the Combe Tennis Center.

The Wildcats will begin dual play ranked ninth in the country.

“We’re all looking forward to playing games that count,” freshman Samantha Murray said. “The team is ready to go.”

The Cats are riding high after strong showings at the National Collegiate Tennis Classic and the Seminole Invitational. Murray has won eight of her last nine matches and brings a 15-2 record into dual play. Fellow freshmen Lauren Lui and Suzie Matzenauer also had strong preseasons, as the Cats prepare to unleash their talented underclassmen on the rest of the country. The team’s strongest player, however, may be sophomore Georgia Rose, who has won her last six matches and lost only three games in as many contests last weekend.

After the Cats’ domination at the Seminole Invitational, coach Claire Pollard decided to give the team the day off Monday, letting it get some rest before facing DePaul.

“We’ve just been taking it easy,” Pollard said. “Our preparation was done in the last two weekends, where we felt like we got the competition we needed.”

The lone concern for the Cats going into tomorrow’s in-state showdown is the heath of senior Alexis Prousis. Part of last season’s championship doubles team, Prousis is battling tendinitis in her right arm. She did not play over the weekend but returned to practice this week.

Beyond that, the team is firing on all cylinders, overcoming its youth to become one of the nation’s best squads. While many of the players will be experiencing dual play for the first time, Pollard has few concerns about her talented freshmen.

“I’m sure there will be a few jitters,” she said. “But they are all experienced tennis players, and I expect they’ll get over their nerves very quickly.”

In addition to opening-day jitters, NU’s young team will have to play with the added pressure of a high ranking. DePaul nonetheless is a definite underdog in tomorrow’s contest. Coming off a season-opening win over Bowling Green, however, the Blue Demons will come determined to pull off the upset.

“We’re the highest ranked team on their schedule, so they’re going to be ready to play,” Pollard said. “I know (DePaul coach) Mark Ardizzone, and he’ll have his kids prepared.”

These concerns – and the myriad questions surrounding the team – will fade away at 6 p.m., when the Cats take the court and finally start their season. Pollard said her team will put on a show.

“They’ll be exciting to watch,” she said.

Reach Jake Simpson at [email protected].