Student’s Illness Isolated

By Alissa Dos SantosThe Daily Northwestern

A Northwestern student contracted meningococcus septicemia earlier this month and is currently recovering at his home, said Donald Misch, director of NU health services.

The student, a Weinberg sophomore living in McCulloch Hall, was hospitalized for the illness, which is caused by the same bacteria as meningitis.

“Most cases of meningitis and septicemia are sporadic, and that’s the case in this instance as far as we know,” Misch said. “This episode is probably over.”

After the incident, seven students came in for a dose of a protective antibiotic, although Misch said students are no longer at risk for the disease from this instance.

Although uncomMonday, meningococcal disease is very serious and causes both meningitis and septicemia, Misch said.

Both diseases are caused by the same bacteria. Septicemia occurs in the bloodstream; meningitis results in the inflammation of the membranes covering the brain and spinal cord.

“Both are dangerous,” Misch said. “The sooner you treat them, the better.”

Misch said the recent case is the first instance of meningococcal disease at NU in a long time.

Symptoms of the disease include fever, neck stiffness, diarrhea, loss of appetite, drowsiness and reddish-purple skin rashes.

College freshmen living in dorms are at an increased risk for meningococcal disease, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which recommends a routine vaccination.

Misch also recommends that students get a new vaccine called Menactra,which reduces the risk of meningococcal disease, although it doesn’t eliminate the risk.

“The vaccine only protects you against meningococcus, so you can get still get meningitis from other strains or from viruses,” Misch said. The vaccine is available at Searle.

McCormick freshman Jonathan Marrone, a McCulloch resident, said he knows the vaccine is recommended.

“I haven’t had it, but I’ll read more about it,” Marrone said.

Every year in the United States, about 2,500 people are infected and 300 die from the disease, according to the New York State Department of Health.

But Misch said there is no reason anyone should be especially alarmed this week.

“Few will die from meningitis,” Misch said. “Most kids will recover fine.”

Reach Alissa Dos Santos at [email protected].