Residents Hope Cafe Brings New Soul

By Meagan IngersonThe Daily Northwestern

When it comes to dining in Evanston, residents and students think of Chicago and Sherman avenues and Noyes, Clark and Dempster streets.

But the New Soul Cafe’s owners chose a building on the quiet Simpson Street, where the previous business lasted about a year.

New Soul Cafe opened in November at 1601 Simpson St., and has strived to pick up business in its first few months by offering a combination of traditional “soul food” and more contemporary menu items.

The restaurant serves such different menu items as grits and salmon croquettes with the slogan, “Everything you’d expect and more!”

“There’s a twofold meaning behind our name,” restaurant owner Robbin Dodson said. “The ‘soul’ is what’s more familiar to people who dine here. Comfort food is one of our specialties.”

But Dodson, who owns the restaurant with her husband, Fred, said they also wanted to offer alternative choices, like salads, sandwiches and a breakfast menu.

“We wanted to bring something ‘new’ to the table,” she said. “We do bacon, sausage, but you can get that anywhere. So we layered in the salmon croquettes (and other) things that are harder to find.”

The cafe has steadily been accumulating business since opening two months ago, Dodson said. She attributes the success to good word-of-mouth.

“I think we’re filling a niche. (Customers) appreciate the fact that they come here and get a meal that’s not just fast food,” she said.

Customers are mostly area residents, though patrons have come from as far away as Chicago’s South Side, Dodson said. She added that not many Northwestern students visit the restaurant but that there is a 10 percent discount offered with the display of a WildCARD. North Campus dorms such as Elder Hall are about the same distance from New Soul Cafe as they are from downtown Evanston restaurants.

Dodson said she chose the location in west Evanston because it would meet a local demand.

“We wanted to open a business that filled a need to the community,” Dodson said. “There’s no restaurant quite like this in the area.”

The neighborhood has long been struggling with economic growth, said Ald. Delores Holmes (5th), whose ward includes the restaurant.

“The whole West Side is an area that struggles with development,” Holmes said.

Holmes added that she has eaten at the restaurant and would recommend it.

“The food’s great, (they’re) very friendly, and it’s a very family atmosphere,” she said.

Deerfield resident Chu Kwak operates the Simpson Grill, which is located on the same block as the New Soul Cafe. Kwak said the previous restaurant at the cafe’s location, a Cajun restaurant, was only in business for one year.

“I really hope (Dodson) makes it and makes the street busier,” Kwak said.

Evanston resident Tiffany Copper dined at the restaurant Saturday afternoon with two friends, Latrice Culpper of Evanston and Chela Mancera of Skokie. Copper said she eats at the restaurant because of its unique menu.

“This is like the only soul food restaurant in Evanston,” she said.

Culpper added that she was attracted by the restaurant’s casual setting.

“You can pick a corner and hang out with friends,” Culpper said. “(The atmosphere) is still nice, but you can be comfortable.”

The restaurant also offers a carry-out option, and a delivery service should be running by the end of January, Dodson said.

Culpper recommended the house specialty, the grilled chicken breast sandwich, but added that she has liked everything she has tried.

“We come here to taste everything on the menu,” Culpper said.

Copper added, “We’re working on it.”

Reach Meagan Ingerson at [email protected].