Nebraska High School Legend Kocsis Adjusts To Big Ten Swimming (Women’s Swimming)

By Chris GentilvisoThe Daily Northwestern

Last April, the phrase “We love Omaha” was written all over Northwestern coach Jimmy Tierney’s face. Two years after signing breaststroke specialist Jessie Bailis, Tierney sensed he had found another recruiting gem in the Great Plains.

In a deep, talented freshman class, Jenn Kocsis joined NU (3-5) as a Nebraska high school legend. Thirteen All-American honors, ten state championship wins and four state records set the stage for her arrival in Evanston.

But Kocsis didn’t have the easiest of starts. After leaving Nebraska as the state record holder in the 200-yard free, she faced two tough first meet encounters, finishing sixth in the event against both Cal and Indiana. The college level stage was quickly setting in.

“Cal was a really difficult meet to open up with, especially after sitting out a week with injuries,” Kocsis said. “Coming from a place like Omaha, the swimming is a lot less intense there. It’s definitely been an adjustment, but a good one.”

When tough times settled in, it was Bailis who provided Kocsis with the comfort of home.

The swimmers went to high school 11 miles from each other, and the junior has taken the freshman under her wing.

“It’s been so much easier with Jessie here,” Kocsis said. “It was really difficult at the beginning, but she’s really been my older sister. Going out to dinner and just having her here – I would’ve been a mess without her.”

The turning point of Kocsis’ first season in purple came over winter break, where Tierney said she shined as one of the Cats’ best trainees in Hawaii.

“We knew she was going to be good and that was an outstanding trip,” Tierney said. “Her practices and training sessions just keep getting better. She’s at home now.”

Continuing to train hard, Kocsis has blossomed into a model of consistency this season for the Wildcats, notching at least one first place finish in five of the last seven meets.

In the 1650-yard free race against Tennessee, her ‘B’ cut time would have made it six, but was overshadowed by fellow freshman talent Kassia Shishkoff, who finished 23 seconds ahead to shatter the Norris Aquatics Center pool record.

“She kept a positive attitude and that really helped through the next couple of meets,” Bailis said. “She’s really risen to the next level. (The freshmen) have done an unbelievable job and we’re really lucky to have them here.”

On a roster where 11 of the 15 NCAA qualifying times this season have been recorded by the new class, the fight for the first-year spotlight has grown intense. But Kocsis, who rooms with freshman Emily Wong, said the presence of her and others has been invaluable.

Heading into Saturday’s final meet of the season against No. 10 Michigan, Kocsis will look to continue her late surge, without looking at the numbers.

“When I swim, I try not to think too much,” Kocsis said. “I don’t look at the other swimmers’ times and just compete the best I can on each day.”

Reach Chris Gentilviso at [email protected].