Plan Commission Supports Evanston Revitalization Project

By Rebecca HuvalThe Daily Northwestern

The Evanston Plan Commission unanimously voted to support a plan to revitalize West Evanston during a Wednesday night meeting.

The commission discussed a proposal to build parks, affordable housing and bike paths along the old Mayfair Railroad.

Douglas Doetsch, a commission member, said he was enthusiastic about the opportunities the project presents.

“This is a unique opportunity to take sustainable development and affordable housing and write them in with a broad brush,” Doetsch said. “We may not get another chance to address these issues on this large a scale in Evanston.”

Once a flourishing community, areas in western Evanston have remained underdeveloped for decades.

The project is located in a TIF district, where the city issues bonds to improve run-down areas by fixing infrastructure. It freezes the tax rate for decades to attract developers.

After the city created the TIF district in September 2005, developers showed interest in the project. The city put a hold on development to let residents voice their opinions and hired two consulting firms to make plans. The moratorium expires Feb. 10. Many residents said they were concerned about the gentrification new buildings could bring.

The developers responsible for the TIF district, JJR and Farr Associates, presented blueprints Wednesday night to residents and the Plan Commission.

Representatives proposed townhouses, two retail and residential buildings and a three-foot median on Dodge Avenue. They would replace the viaduct by the old Mayfair Railroad with a sidewalk, sculptures and plants. But residents said they were concerned about several proposed plans, including the median and the town homes around the viaduct.

The commission’s unanimous recommendation is only one step in the process. The City Council’s Planning and Development Committee will review the plans at the end of the month.

While the commission supported the general plans, members disagreed about the details. They debated the amount of park space the city could afford.

“You’re trying to balance park space with the density that would allow development to occur,” said Albert Hunter, chairman of the commission.

Some members wanted more walking space, while others said the required porches were too small, discouraging people from talking with passersby. Representatives from Farr Associates said their plans do encourage socialization because residents will be able to interact in their driveways or sidewalks.

At a separate meeting, the City Council’s Civic Center Committee privately discussed moving or renovating the Evanston Civic Center. Before asking the public to leave, the committee asked residents to comment.

Anna Renee Ross, an Evanston resident, asked the city to build in the TIF district to revive the area.

“It would be a tremendous boost economically and an investment in the people,” Ross said. “There are a lot of people (on the west side) that think the city doesn’t even know they’re there.”

Aldermen said they created the TIF district to stimulate the economy there, but residents haven’t seen results.

“We’ve been promising and promising for things on the west side, and people are waiting,” Ald. Delores Holmes (5th) said.

Reach Rebecca Huval at [email protected].