Road To Recovery

By David MorrisonThe Daily Northwestern

Lying on the field, Nick Roach knew his college career was over.

During the third quarter of Northwestern’s Oct. 21 loss to Michigan State, the senior linebacker turned back upfield to chase a punt returner. But his toe stuck in the turf, and he was blindsided.

The result: a broken fibula, just above his right ankle.

“I was real calm,” Roach said. “I just kept saying, ‘It’s messed up.’ I knew right away.”

Going off the field on a cart that day, the realization that he’d never suit up again for the Wildcats was difficult for Roach.

Now comes the really hard part.

Roach, considered by most draft analysts to be a late-round pick or undrafted free agent before the injury, has to weather the rigors of a 12-week recovery program and prove to NFL scouts that his leg is sound for any team to take a chance on him.

“If I was a scout, I would like to see myself play the last four games, just to get more film,” Roach said. “But I feel like in the last three-and-a-half years, I’ve had enough film that they can look at.”

His leg is slated to be back to normal by the beginning of next year, which doesn’t leave him much time to answer any injury questions before the teams convene at the end of April for the NFL Draft.

Roach, a Milwaukee native offered scholarships to only NU and Northern Illinois coming out of high school, has to prove himself again to make it to the next level.

“Coach Walker would always say it’s not all bad to be able to come in under the radar and surprise some people,” Roach said. “I just look forward to playing again, if I get the chance.”

KEEPING THE FAITH

Roach’s list of injuries during his time at NU would make almost anyone wince: a dislocated shoulder, a sports hernia and a broken tailbone.

But none of these ailments forced Roach to miss any playing time. He played 45 games and recorded 242 tackles before going down against Michigan State.

Junior safety Reggie McPherson, one of Roach’s roommates, said he is impressed with the way Roach has handled watching the end of his senior season from the sidelines.

McPherson and junior wide receiver Tonjua Jones, Roach’s other roommate, help him with daily activities and make sure his leg gets as much rest as it needs.

“I would want somebody helping me out if I was like that,” McPherson said.

Roach has dealt with this type of injury before, when he broke his left leg in eighth grade.

He said it takes a while to get used to crutches and not having the use of one of his legs.

“Sometimes it’s frustrating, just when you want to get up and walk,” he said. “Everything takes a little bit more time.”

Roach, one of the team captains before the injury, takes it upon himself to remain a large part of the team in the season’s closing weeks.

He is at almost every practice and has been on the sidelines at every game except the win against Iowa, even traveling to Michigan.

“It makes the guys who are still out here appreciate being healthy,” Jones said. “He helps out every way he can. He’s still a leader and still a team captain.”