Blocking Not Affected By Height For ‘Cats(Volleyball)

By Pritish BehuriaThe Daily Northwestern

Height isn’t all you need to be an imposing blocker on a volleyball team.

The Wildcats have shown that recently and though they do not boast the tallest team in the Big Ten, it hasn’t stopped them from being ranked 4th in the Big Ten in blocks per game this season.

The Cats starting middle-blockers, sophomore Chelsy Hyser and junior Brittney Aldridge, have performed considerably well this month, climbing to fifth and seventh place respectively in the Big Ten individual standings for blocks per game.

“Very elite teams usually have good blocking,” coach Keylor Chan said. “It allows us to control the net and control the other team’s offense.”

The tallest member of the Cats’ team, Aldridge, netted her first career double-double in the Cats’ 3-2 win against No. 16 Ohio State last month. It was the first time, a Northwestern player had netted a double-double in kills and blocks since Erika Lange did it in 2002.

Not to be outdone, Hyser netted her first career double-double in the 3-2 loss against No. 10 Wisconsin last weekend.

“Any time our middles can generate more than nine blocks in a game as well as kills, we do pretty well.” Chan said. “It’s all down to our player development and all our front court players are experienced and have begun to understand the game better.”

Hyser has been a dominant force at the net for the Cats this season. Since breaking the single-match school record for blocks at the end of last month, she has notched up 33 blocks in her last four matches.

“She’s physically and emotionally matured as a player,” Chan said. “She’s been playing well lately and has put in some good performances.”

Hyser said blocking was not her greatest skill before she came to NU but thanks to Chan’s focus on it in practice has allowed her to develop into a top blocker.

The growth of the blocking team has relieved pressure on other parts of the Cats’ game. Chan said like most teams that mask their weaknesses with their strengths, blocking has allowed the team to mask its offense, which hasn’t been performing well recently.

“Volleyball is really interconnected,” Aldridge said. “Serving is a part of our improved blocking and the better serve puts you in a better position to block.”

With four decisive games left, the Cats will need their newfound strength – their blocking team – to show up with big performances.

“Not until we block every point of the game can the blocking team be satisfied,” Hyser said. “We can always get better and we’ll work hard to improve.”

Reach Pritish Behuria at [email protected].