Press Pass

After the demolition of the Bottom Lounge on Belmont over a year ago, I thought the days of grungy, garage-sized venues in Chicago were over.

Enter the Beat Kitchen’, a tiny, standing-room only venue that offers the intimate setting I missed from the days of the ol’ Lounge.

As I made my way to the back room of the Beat Kitchen on Nov. 14 to watch Action Action perform before emo-quintet My American Heart – and as I did a double take when I saw Action Action’s lead singer Mark Thomas Kluepfel ordering food – I was hit with the realization that the average age of the audience was probably about 16.

Surrounded by teenagers in studded belts and greasy hair, vying to be known in the Chicago emo “scene” and wearing a mixed look of superiority and boredom, I made my way to the front to listen to Danger Radio, a California band whose high-energy and fast paced songs are reminiscent of Panic! at the Disco. No matter how much the band’s lead singer encouraged dancing or how fast the drummer tapped the cymbal, the kids didn’t budge, standing still through the entire set.

The second act, Pistolita, was a blend of Something Corporate’s piano rock with an edgier sound. After a promising beginning, the band fell flat after songs reverted to the over-used screaming/wailing combination.

New York’s Action Action was screwed over when their set list was cut to six songs, presumably to give headliner My American Heart more time to complain. The band performed two songs from their latest release, An Army of Shapes Between Wars, and adjusted their set list, ending with “Eight Grade Summer Romance” at the request of a fan.

My American Heart took the stage to a roar of applause. But not even the headliners’ songs could get these scene kids dancing, minus the three boys trying to start a mosh pit.

It just goes to show you should never trust music 16-year-olds like.

– Marcy Miranda