Badgers’ Bielema Causes Controversy

By Michael SchlossbergThe Daily Northwestern

Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema created controversy Saturday when he took advantage of a new rule change to run out the clock in the first half of his team’s game against Penn State.

After scoring a touchdown with 23 seconds left in the half to take a 10-3 lead, Bielema wanted to make sure Penn State did not have any time to score before halftime.

A new NCAA rule implemented this season calls for the clock to start when the ball is kicked rather than when it is caught. While the rule was designed to shorten the length of games, Bielema used it to milk 23 seconds off the clock.

With the Badgers players lined up nearly 10 yards offside, Wisconsin kicked off and pinned Penn State at its own 12 while running nine seconds off the clock.

Penn State accepted the penalty, and Wisconsin repeated the same tactic and was called offside. However, a Penn State holding penalty offset the Badgers’ penalty, resulting in another kickoff and another 10 seconds off of the clock. With four seconds left on the clock, Wisconsin’s squib kick was returned by Penn State, but time ran out in the first half.

“I don’t necessarily agree with the rule that we were able to take advantage of, but as a coach, I thought that gave us a better chance to win,” Bielema said. “They had a chance to decline it on the first kick. I’m sure there are going to be certain things suggested to change that rule next season.”

Penn State coach Joe Paterno was visibly upset by Bielema’s strategy and pleaded his case to the officials.

“I think he was upset that they were doing it deliberately, that it was intentional,” Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley said. “I mean, when you’re 10 yards offside … “

PATERNO A PATIENT

After breaking his tibia and tearing two tendons in a sideline collision Saturday against Wisconsin, Penn State coach Joe Paterno underwent an 80-minute procedure to repair his leg on Monday.

Paterno is expected to make a full recovery after several screws were inserted into the injured leg, which was fitted with a temporary brace. Paterno might be able to put weight back on the leg in about six weeks, just in time for a potential New Year’s Day bowl game.

Penn State officials said Paterno will likely coach on Saturday against Temple, although it is uncertain as to whether it will be from the sidelines or from a coach’s box upstairs.

The school canceled Paterno’s regular press conferences, but that hasn’t stopped Paterno from catching up on work.

“He’s been driving us crazy with his phone calls reminding us to get ready for practice,” Tom Bradley said. “He’s anxious to get back out there.”

SMITH’S FAREWELL

Sitting in the hot seat all season, Michigan State coach John L. Smith finally learned he would not be returning next season in an announcement made last Wednesday.

Smith will finish the remaining two games in Michigan State’s season after already coaching in Saturday’s 17-15 loss to Purdue.

In Tuesday’s teleconference, Smith refused to talk about himself, citing his concern for his players as his number one priority.

“The day I came in, I said ‘this is not an I, me, my program, it’s an us, you and our program,'” Smith said. “I firmly believe that.”

After a strong 3-0 start, Michigan State since has lost six of its last seven games to fall to 4-6 and last place in the Big Ten. This is the second consecutive year the Spartans have struggled after a quick start.

Michigan State’s contest against Minnesota this week not only will be Smith’s last game at Spartan Stadium, but his seniors’ as well.

“The biggest thing is that I would love for the seniors to be able to sing the fight song with the band after a victory,” Smith said. “If we can finish that way then it would be a great memory to have. That would mean more to me than anything else going on in my own life.”

Reach Michael Schlossberg at

[email protected].

Ohio State (10-0, 6-0): Became unanimous No. 1 for first time all season

Michigan (10-0, 6-0): Nearly needed overtime to shake Ball State

Wisconsin (9-1, 6-1): Health of John Stocco could present added challenge against Iowa

Penn State (6-4, 4-3): Loving final two games against Temple and Michigan State

Purdue (6-4, 3-3): Finally put a touchdown on the board last week

Indiana (5-5, 3-3): Failed miserably in first attempt to become bowl eligible since 1993

Iowa (6-4, 2-4): The disappointing season continues with loss to Northwestern

Illinois (2-8, 1-5): Record is misleading after giving Bucks a scare

Minnesota (4-6, 1-5): 63 points most by Gophers against conference opponent in 90 years

Northwestern (3-7, 1-5): Wins at Iowa are never easy to come by

Michigan State (4-6, 1-5): It was only a matter of time for John L. Smith

“I’m sure he’ll be a model patient. But I don’t think you are going to see much let-up in this old warrior.”

-Joe Tiller, Purdue coach, on how he expects Penn State coach Joe Paterno to respond following an operation expected to immobilize him for six weeks.

65: The number of first place votes Ohio State received in this week’s Associated Press

poll out of 65 possible votes, making the Buckeyes the first unanimous No. 1 in the regular

season in three years.

RUSHING CAR YDS AVG YPG Hill Jr., Wisconsin

245 1370 5.6 137.0

Hart, Michigan 259 1281 4.9 128.1

Pittman, Ohio State 195 952 4.9 95.2

Hunt, Penn State 201 931 4.6 93.1

Pinnix, Minnesota 172 861 5.0 86.1

PASSING CP ATT YDS TD YPG

Painter, Purdue 225 378 2875 15

287.5

Tate, Iowa 156 260 1825 11

228.1

Cupito, Minnesota 161 270 2046

15 204.6

Smith, Ohio State 158 237 2006 22

200.6

Stocco, Wisconsin 144 234 1979 15

197.9

RECEIVING REC YDS AVG YPG

Bryant, Purdue 57 697 12.2 69.7

Gonzalez, Ohio State 43 639 14.9 63.9

Ginn Jr., Ohio State 49 637 13.0 63.7

Payne, Minnesota 44 626 14.2 62.6

Beckum, Wisconsin 43 616 14.3 61.6

TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS YDS YPG

Painter, Purdue 434 2941 294.1

Lewis, Indiana 374 2159 239.9

Tate, Iowa 296 1888 236.0

Stanton, Michigan State 373 2246 224.6

Smith, Ohio State 290 2212 221.2

SCORING GMS PTS PPG

Hill Jr., Wisconsin 10 84 8.4

Rivas, Michigan 10 78 7.8

Mehlhaff, Wisconsin 10 76 7.6

Kelly, Penn State 10 72 7.2

Swenson, Michigan State 10 67 6.7