Another Week, Another Test For Tennessee

By Adam FusfeldThe Daily Northwestern

No. 13 LSU at No. 8 TennesseeTime: Saturday, 2:30 p.m.Place: Knoxville, Tenn.TV: CBSLine: Louisiana State -3Records: Louisiana State 6-2, Tennessee 7-1

Why to Watch: The DiMaggio of Gameday National Preview appearances, Tennessee has appeared in three straight and four of the last five – and with good reason. The Vols have played a lot of important SEC games and again will this week against conference foe LSU. While Tennessee quarterback Erik Ainge has received a lot of attention for his stellar play this year, the Tigers have their own star junior quarterback in JaMarcus Russell, the fourth most efficient passer in the nation. By now you loyal readers have read all about Tennessee’s formidable passing attack, so it is time to bring the Vols’ frail ground game – which ranks just 86th in the country – into focus. This deficiency poses severe problems because it allows arguably the best defense in the nation to focus solely on the Tennessee passing game. LSU has a shot to win if it can finally play well in a big game, something it has yet to do this year.

No. 18 Oklahoma at No. 21 Texas A&MTime: Saturday, 7:00 p.m.Place: College Station, TexasTV: ABCLine: Oklahoma -3Records: Oklahoma 6-2, Texas A&M 8-1

Why to Watch: Two more teams that have appeared often in this space are going to face off in this marquee Big 12 match up. Despite its relatively unimpressive record, Oklahoma’s strong schedule warrants its high ranking as its only two losses have come against Texas and Oregon. The Sooners now have won three straight without Adrian Peterson, thanks to unexpected contributions from junior running back Allen Patrick, who has averaged more than 130 yards rushing in the last two games. The Aggies only have lost to unranked archrival Texas Tech. Sophomore quarterback Stephen McGee has anchored an offense that has forfeited only two interceptions all year (with McGee having thrown just one), so the game likely will be one that hinges on ball control.

No. 16 Boston College at No. 22 Wake ForestTime: Saturday, 6:00 p.m.Place: Winston-Salem, N.C.TV: ESPN2Line: Boston College -4Records: Boston Coll. 7-1, Wake Forest 7-1

Why to Watch: The most efficient passing attack in the Atlantic Coast Conference faces the conference’s leader in passes intercepted. Wake Forest, whose aforementioned passing attack is led by redshirt freshman quarterback Riley Skinner, also rank 16th in the nation in scoring. Not to be outdone, the Eagles rank 14th, and have the conference’s passing leader, junior quarterback Matt Ryan. These teams are tied for the top spot in the ACC Atlantic Division, and the winner could cruise to a conference championship, as neither squad is scheduled to face a team currently ranked higher for the rest of the season.

Tulsa at HoustonTime: Saturday, 2:30 p.m.Place: Houston, TexasTV: CSTVLine: Tulsa -3.5Records: Tulsa 7-1, Houston 6-3

Why to Watch: Another week, another good small-conference battle. These two squads sit atop Conference-USA, and have been somewhat inconsistent but generally good this season. The Cougars have surprised many critics with their explosive offense, which includes the nation’s fifth-ranked passing attack led by senior quarterback Kevin Kolb. Kolb ranks fourth in the country in passing yards and has accounted for 23 touchdowns, thanks in part to his many receiving targets – Houston lines up three receivers that rank in the top ten. However, Kolb will not have it easy against the Golden Hurricane, as its pass defense ranks fourth in the nation. Look for the winner of this game to take the conference championship. Also, if Tulsa can come out on top, it should find itself in this week’s Top 25.

Arizona State at Oregon StateTime: Saturday, 3:05 p.m.Place: Corvallis, Ore.TV: N/ALine: Oregon State -3Records: Arizona St. 5-3, Oregon St. 5-3

Why to Watch: It’s a good thing this game isn’t on TV, because any viewer would be subjected to analysis from a game last week, rather than the game on hand. Granted, last week’s game in Corvallis featured the upset of the season, as the Beavers knocked off formerly third-ranked USC. Aside from that upset, Oregon State and Arizona State are very similar teams; they both are Pac-10 teams that hover around .500 in conference play, and have struggled against ranked opponents. They have nearly identical offense statistics and have many offensive starters putting up similar numbers. The Beavers have had impressive play from their junior running back Yvenson Bernard who is second in the conference and 14th in the nation in yards per game, and needs to capitalize on the Sun Devils’ weak rush defense. The Sun Devils need improvement from sophomore quarterback Rudy Carpenter, who was the most efficient passer in the nation last year, but looks to have taken a step back this year.

Reach Adam Fusfeld at [email protected].