Purdue’s Offense Looking For Its Boom

By Michael SchlossbergThe Daily Northwestern

Based on its last two games, Purdue’s explosive offense appears to have lost its detonator.

Averaging 33.1 points per game through its first seven games of the season, Purdue has managed just three points in its last eight quarters.

In its 24-3 loss to Wisconsin two weeks ago, Purdue was held under 10 points for the first time in three years.

As an encore against Penn State, the Boilermakers proceeded to get shut out for the first time in ten years, ending the nation’s third longest streak of games without a shutout at 127.

“This has been a historic low for us,” Purdue coach Joe Tiller said. “We’ve never experienced anything like this before.”

While Tiller was disappointed with his receivers’ lackluster efforts against Wisconsin, he admitted Saturday’s struggles against Penn State might have been partially due to the windy conditions that limited the Boilermakers’ pass-oriented offense.

“You couldn’t get the ball up in the air and count on much happening,” he said.

After leading the Big Ten in scoring for the first seven games, Purdue has slipped to fifth after its last two weeks. However, Purdue continues to lead the conference in yards per game, although by a much smaller margin.

“The thing that’s most encouraging is that it’s just little things that are keeping us from being productive and that’s a lot better than having some major problems that you can’t overcome,” he said.

Bowling for Indiana

After being the Big Ten’s perennial doormat for the last 13 seasons, Indiana is just one victory away from becoming bowl eligible.

And with two of its three remaining games against struggling teams, the Hoosiers might very well be adding a 13th game in the future.

With games left against Minnesota, Purdue, and No. 2 Michigan, Indiana coach Terry Hoeppner is confident that his team will play in its first bowl game since 1993.

“Our goal from day one has been to play 13 games this season,” Hoeppner said. “You always want to still be playing meaningful games in late October and November and we’re doing just that.”

By far one of the biggest surprises of the Big Ten this season, the Hoosiers currently sit in fifth place in the conference.

Hoeppner is especially pleased about the opportunity for his seniors to potentially play in their first bowl game before finishing their careers at Indiana.

“I have fifth year seniors who have come to me and said ‘Coach, I’ve never in my time here had games mean so much this late in the season. This is exciting,'” Hoeppner said.

Manningham back

Having missed the last three games while recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery, Michigan standout wide receiver Mario Manningham returned to practice Tuesday for the first time since tearing his meniscus Oct. 7 against Michigan State.

For the Wolverines, this news could not have come soon enough.

In the first six games of the season, Manningham caught 24 balls for 527 yards and nine touchdowns. During that span, quarterback Chad Henne threw for 13 touchdowns.

However, in Manningham’s absence, Michigan’s passing game has struggled. In three games without Manningham, Henne has thrown only two touchdown passes.

In games against Penn State and Northwestern, Henne completed only half of his passes.

“Any time you lose a player like Mario Manningham it impacts you,” Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said. “I don’t think there’s any question about that.”

Manningham’s status for Saturday’s contest against Ball State remains uncertain. A decision will be made later in the week after evaluating his performance in practice throughout the week.

“We’re excited to get him back,” Carr said.

Reach Michael Schlossberg at [email protected].