Fitz To Drop It Like It’s ‘Hot’ (Football)

By David MorrisonThe Daily Northwestern

Senior linebacker Nick Roach will not play again at Northwestern. This much is clear to the Wildcats.

What is unclear is who will take his place. Coach Pat Fitzgerald said the starting weak side linebacker will be a gametime decision.

“You’ll probably see quite a few guys playing out there on Saturday, ” he said. “We’ve just got to roll with the guy who’s hot. It’s not like we have a three-year starter.”

Among the linebackers Fitzgerald is considering are junior Chris Malleo, sophomore Mike Dinard, sophomore Malcolm Arrington and junior Eddie Simpson, who returned to practice this week after missing the last three games. Malleo, one of the Cats’ most active players on kick return coverage, finished the game for Roach last week and recorded two tackles.

He said there are a lot of backers eager to win the spot.

“There’s pressure to make plays,” Malleo said. “Some people buckle under that and some people rise up and start improving. It prevents complacency.”

Other than replacing Roach’s position on the field, the Cats also are looking to fill the leadership void left by Roach and injured senior safety Bryan Heinz, both team captains. Junior linebacker Adam Kadela said defenders like he and senior cornerback Marquice Cole have taken it upon their shoulders.

“It’s important that we keep the game flowing,” Kadela said, “making sure guys are where they need to be and getting them to raise their play.”

CRUM CAKE

On junior Adam Crum’s first drive as a center, he helped spring Tyrell Sutton for a 64-yard gain.

Crum had taken some snaps at guard in the first half before senior center Trevor Rees hurt his leg at the end of the third quarter.

“It’s been a long season, and finally the coaches gave me a chance to get in there,” Crum said. “It’s nice know that when you go in there’s not a letdown, that you can keep things moving.”

While Rees is back at center this week, Crum’s play in his relief has earned him his first collegiate start, at right guard.

Since coming to NU before the 2003 season, the Anchor Point, Alaska, native has seen action in only eight games.

Crum said the offensive line has come together since coming under criticism after the 33-7 loss to Penn State.

“We made some mental mistakes, and we weren’t playing as hard,” he said. “Now we’re just flying around the line, hitting people and having fun – doing what the big guys do best.”

STILL HURTING?

NU is only four days removed from being on the losing side of the largest comeback in Division I-A history. Aside from the memory of Saturday replaying in their heads, the Cats had to relive it nearly every time they came across sports-related media, as the nation seized upon the story.

“It was horrible,” sophomore running back Tyrell Sutton said. “It was painful to know that you were a part of history on the wrong end. You just wish it was a dream.”

But Fitzgerald said the “pity party” didn’t last very long. He said the team came into the week of practice with all of the intensity of prior weeks and none of the distractions caused by the specter of the Michigan State loss.

“When you’re a competitor, you win big games and you lose games that are tough, and you react the same way: You get back on the bike and ride it again,” Fitzgerald said. “If you wait for somebody to pick the bike up for you, they’ll probably steal it.”

THOMPSON OUT

Junior wide receiver Kim Thompson will miss his second straight game due to personal reasons.

In three games this year, Thompson has four catches for 62 yards.

Reach David Morrison at [email protected].