District 17 Foes Face Off

By Annie MartinThe Daily Northwestern

State Rep. Elizabeth Coulson (R-Glenview) and Judith-Rae Ross both stressed the need to improve education, expand health care coverage and promote a “clean,” ethical government at a forum Sunday in Wilmette.

Several local branches of the League of Women Voters sponsored the forum, held at the Wilmette Village Hall, 1200 Wilmette Ave. It featured the two candidates for the General Assembly’s 17th District, which includes parts of northwest Evanston, as well as Wilmette, Glenview and the surrounding areas.

Coulson and Ross responded to a series of questions on the issues at hand, ranging from transit to gun control, in front of about 25 people.

Coulson, a Glenview resident, is now serving her fifth term as district representative. Over the course of the last 10 years, she has sponsored and helped pass Illinois’ Abandoned Baby legislation, which provides assistance to mothers who might otherwise abandon their newborns. She also has worked to improve Illinois’ prescription drug programs for seniors and the disabled.

“I spend more of my time in my district, with my constituents,” Coulson said. “I think being in my district and helping my constituents are as equally important as passing bills in Springfield.”

Ross served as a trustee for Niles Township from 1980 to 2001. She has worked as a journalist in the newspaper and television fields and as a professor at DePaul University.

“I’m here to act – to make sure children have a good education, seniors stay in the community and we have a good, clean government,” Ross said.

Both candidates named education as one of the biggest areas needing improvement in Illinois. Ross stressed the need for better teachers and the importance of the music and arts curriculum.

Coulson said she thought teacher recruitment and mentoring programs would help improve instruction and that the state couldn’t require schools to provide special education if it wasn’t going to be funded.

“The schools are in trouble,” Ross said, adding that she thought all children should be in school, from 3 years old until they finish college.

The candidates also agreed that health care was another problematic area. According to Ross, 15 percent of adults and 10 percent of children in Illinois don’t have health-care coverage. She said she supports a single-payer plan rather than the current system.

Coulson said that since choice is so important to many Americans, health care should be flexible and people should be able to make decisions regarding their providers.

“I was very instrumental in developing the KidCare program,” Coulson said, referring to the state program which provides health care to children and pregnant women.

Barbara Marsh, a member of one of the voter groups, coordinated the forum. She said an issues committee, made up of members from the voter groups, designed the questions, which focused on school funding and fiscal policy.

“We’re hoping to educate the voters,” Marsh said, noting that the forum was shown on TV.

Richard Reeder, of Skokie, said he votes in the 17th District and described Illinois as “a mess.”

“I thought (the forum) was informative,” Reeder said. “There were a lot of similarities between the two candidates.”

Reach Annie Martin at [email protected].