Homecoming Pep Rally Showcases Community Talent, Spirit

The original version of this article stated that the emcee at Friday’s pep rally was Pat Walsh. Pete Friedman was the pep rally MC. This is the corrected version. The Daily regrets the error.

By Matt SpectorThe Daily Northwestern

Friday was a true homecoming for Brenda Baker. Along with her four closest friends, all Northwestern University Marching Band alums, Baker celebrated her 25th class reunion this weekend by attending Friday night’s pep rally.

Baker, Weinberg ’81, said her memories of marching band, along with its unique camaraderie and spontaneous cheers, are still fresh.

“Coming back and listening to this it’s almost like we never left,” she said.

Baker joined students, alumni and faculty at Cahn Auditorium to root on the Wildcats and show their “Purple Pride.” High schoolers and “little Wildcats” filled the balcony.

Cahn employees distributed purple and white pom-poms at the door as students and alumni entered the auditorium. Inside, Willie the Wildcat took pictures with children and students alike, while purple-clad attendees clapped along to NUMB music.

The band began with a showcase of its drumline. Band members emerged from all corners of the auditorium, gathered onstage and started the concert with a rendition of George Gershwin’s “I’ve Got Rhythm.”

The familiar voice of Ryan Field P.A. announcer Pete Friedman welcomed students and alumni to Cahn. Friedman emceed the night of music and Wildcat pride.

He said it was important for everyone to be at Ryan Field on Saturday and during future games to cheer on the Cats.

After Friedman’s opening remarks, the Ladycats dance team got the crowd moving along to “Hey Baby.” The NUMB Spirit Team — SESP senior Caitlin Overland and Weinberg senior Tim Peterson — entertained the audience during the theme from “Monty Python and the Holy Grail.” Between songs, the cheerleading squad led the audience in familiar cheers.

NU’s first featured twirler in more than twenty years, Weinberg freshman Lauren Maginity, performed stunts along with the band. During “Stacy’s Mom,” her baton skills so impressed the audience that she was given a standing ovation.

Friedman then introduced Wildcats football coach Pat Fitzgerald, who was met with raucous applause as he took the stage.

“You will not find a better person, a better role model or a better ambassador for Northwestern University,” Friedman said.

Fitzgerald said Homecoming weekend was a great way to get everyone involved and excited about football. The “Walk to the Stadium” in memory of Randy Walker was important for the football team and the community, he said.

“We need as many little Wildcat fans as we do normal Wildcat fans to welcome us into the Ryan Field locker room,” Fitzgerald said, addressing the younger students in the balcony.

Fitzgerald brought graduate student Bryan Heinz, a safety on the team, to share a few words on behalf of the team. Heinz thanked the crowd for their support this year and in years past.

The night concluded as audience members swayed along to the Alma Mater and clapped to the NU Fight Song. The energized crowd emptied the auditorium to participate in the parade.

Band alumnus Peter Vukovich, Communication ’01, was impressed by this year’s pep rally. Vukovich said he comes back every year for the pep rally and Homecoming parade.

“I love it – I’m really excited how involved Fitzgerald is,” Vukovich said.

Jamie Green, Weinberg ’06, said she was excited that so many people came to support the Wildcats.

“I came in and saw that there were no open seats,” Green said. “The groups deserve this audience.”

For Baker, the pep rally made her feel like she was in college again, playing with the band and shouting “Go NU!”

“I think we’re all really happy to be back among friends.”

Reach Matt Spector at [email protected].