Art Brut, We Are Scientists Heat Up A Frigid Night

Art Brut does not ruminate on the human condition, they don’t appeal for social justice, and the time signatures of their songs are not arranged according to the Fibonacci sequence. They don’t even have the proper egos to propel a traditional rock band, as evidenced when singer Eddie Argos told the crowd “not to listen to people in bands. We have no idea what we’re talking about.” The only thing Art Brut cares about is being funny, smart, and danceable.

On a cold October night, Art Brut lit up the Metro crowd on Oct. 12 by storming through their debut album, Bang Bang Rock & Roll and a few unrecorded songs. Argos peppered each song with his on-stage antics, from doing little kick-steps at every musical climax to walking through the audience while still singing. Art Brut started their set traditionally, playing the opening bars of AC/DC’s “Back in Black” before linking it into their first single, “Formed A Band,” as Argos petitioned the audience “to go home and form bands.” The band turned each of their songs into rousing anthems, drawing mass sing-a-longs on “Modern Art,” “Bad Weekend,” “Emily Kane,” and their final song, “Good Weekend.” The crowd ate up every song, and the band departed the stage to continued applause.

Supporting band We Are Scientists played a less-catchy brand of dance rock, undermined by their serious performances despite witty banter in between each song. They played the title track from Art Brut’s album with less success, and although they also drew a lot of applause, it was evident that Art Brut was the more loved band at the end of the night.

Opener The Spinto Band tried to be cutesy and kitsch with their erratic stage movements and fractured pop songs, but while generally listenable they also came off as annoying to watch. In all likelihood, that’s probably what they wanted to appear as.

– Jeremy Gordon