Behind the Curtain

By Christina AmorosoPLAY Writer

The lavish opening night revival to Broadway’s A Chorus Line took place Thursday, Oct. 5 at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre.

A Chorus Line is the story of 17 dancers who have made it to the final auditions for a new Broadway play. The cast must be narrowed down to only eight dancers, but before each person gets to show what they’ve got, the director, Zach, wants to learn more about them. Each dancer has to step forward to share his or her story, which ranges from the hysterical to the heartbreaking.

The show, which originally opened at Broadway’s classic Shubert Theatre in May of 1975, closed in 1990. At the time, it was the longest-running show on Broadway, passing Grease in 1983. The play won nine Tony awards in 1976, including awards for best musical, best actress in a musical and best director for a musical. A Chorus Line was also performed in several other major cities, including in Los Angeles and in London.

According to www.playbill.com, the opening was reminiscent of ’50s Broadway. The sidewalks were covered with red carpets and many of the men wore tuxedos, a rarity in today’s New York theater scene.

Reviews of the show were somewhat mixed. The New York Times’ Ben Brantley said the show has returned “like a vintage car that has been taken out of the garage, polished up and sent on the road once again” and that the ensemble as a whole is better than the individuals who are a part of it.

A Chorus Line is just one of many shows opening on Broadway this fall. Twyla Tharp’s The Times They Are A-Changin’, based on the music of Bob Dylan, is set to open Oct. 26. Also, a six-month engagement of Les Mis