DM ’07 To Benefit Epilepsy Research

Citizens United for Research in Epilepsy, a Chicago-based non-profit organization devoted to finding a cure for epilepsy, will be the primary beneficiary of Dance Marathon 2007, executive members announced Thursday.

After sorting through more than 50 applications, DM chose CURE as a primary beneficiary because it was the organization that most demonstrated a need for funds yet exhibited the highest potential to make an impact, executive members said.

“Right now, CURE is at a good point as an organization,” said Chip Newcom, a McCormick senior and DM executive co-chairman. “They’re starting to get interest from the medical community focusing a lot more on finding a cure for epilepsy. We think our funds can help them gain even more research.”

According to Nadia Rawls, a Weinberg junior and a DM executive co-chairwoman, the money raised from DM will help CURE retain the attention of medical researchers, whose work could lead to a cure for epilepsy. If DM is able to raise $400,000, CURE will be able to double the grants they offer, Rawls said.

“They need this funding and they need it now,” Rawls said. “CURE has managed to generate the excitement. But if they don’t receive the funding, scientists will move to a cause that receives more funding.”

CURE, started in 1998 by three mothers of epileptic children, provides grants to scientists so they can conduct research and apply for further funding by the National Institute of Health (NIH). Since its inception, the organization has raised more than $3 million to fund initiatives that can lead to to a cure for epilepsy.

CURE and DM plan to work together to increase the awareness of epilepsy, a disease that often goes unnoticed, Rawls said. They will bring speakers familiar with the disease to campus next year and will step up public relations initiatives by telling people “facts about epilepsy even while canning,” said Kathy Dodds, the organization’s DM liaison.

DM also named Evanston Community Foundation as its secondary beneficiary for the 10th consecutive year. DM and ECF plan to commemorate the anniversary by providing more volunteering opportunities for students in Evanston, according to Rawls.

“It’s fascinating to see how much of an impact (DM) has on the community,” Rawls said. “That’s something we want the dancers to be aware of and make sure they are participating in.”