Fire Damages Downtown Eatery, Apartments Above

A kitchen fire at Cozy Noodle & Rice, 1018 Davis St., damaged the restaurant, the apartments above it and the adjacent store, Evanston Fire Department officials said Monday.

The fire started in the kitchen of the downtown Evanston restaurant at about 4 p.m. Five engines and two trucks responded to the call, and the Skokie Fire Department was also called.

People evacuated the restaurant, and employees of the adjacent Professional Security Hardware, Inc. evacuated as firefighters arrived.

“I heard fire engines, and I came up to see what was going on, and they kicked me out of the way,” said Matt Grubisich, who works at the hardware shop.

Ronn Gannon, Division Chief for the Evanston Fire Department, could not estimate the financial extent of the damage, but he did say Cozy would need to be closed for a few days. No one was killed or injured, he said.

The apartments above the building and the Professional Security Hardware shop received some smoke damage, Gannon said.

“They got real lucky,” he said.

The Evanston Police Department placed officers between Davis Street and Maple Avenue and Davis Street and Oak Avenue. Traffic was blocked on this section of Davis as fire crews worked on the area. Drivers who had parked their cars in front of Cozy had to wait for the firefighters to clear the scene. They waited on the opposite sidewalk until about 5:30 p.m. when they were allowed to move their vehicles.

Grubisich said he saw flames coming out from the roof of the building. Smoke was seen rising above the building blocks away at the One Rotary Center, 1560 Sherman Ave.

Reach Vincent Bradshaw at [email protected].