Greek Life Head Accepts Job at Purdue

Kyle Pendleton, director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, will leave Northwestern to take the position of Assistant Dean for Student Affairs at Purdue University.

Pendleton will start at Purdue on July 3. He said he was not looking to leave Northwestern, but a colleague told him about the Purdue opening in March and said it would be a good fit for him. He decided to apply and accepted the position on May 12.

His responsibilities at Purdue will be similar to those he had as director of Fraternity and Sorority Life, he said, but he will be supervising many more Greek organizations. Fraternity and Sorority Life’s Web site lists 43 fraternities and sororities recognized at NU, while Purdue has 70 fraternities and sororities, according to its Web site.

He told the students with whom he worked closely about his new job in person and sent an e-mail about his planned move Friday afternoon to fraternity and sorority leaders as the news began to spread, he said.

“Kyle’s been an important part of a lot of positive change for Greeks at Northwestern, and he will be missed,” said Communication junior Lisa Juarez, president of the Panhellenic Association, speaking on behalf of the organization. “We wish him the best in his future endeavors.”

Pendleton began working at NU in 2001, when this year’s graduating seniors were freshmen.

“It’s kind of like I’m graduating along with them,” he said.

He plans to enjoy his last few weeks at NU, he said, but will also be working on an annual report. He said his biggest accomplishments as director of Fraternity and Sorority life included a “Vision 20/20” plan that would guide his successor.

“I know that I’m leaving Northwestern with a good blueprint,” he said.

Mary Desler, the associate vice president and dean of student affairs, will conduct a nationwide search to find a successor. Pendleton said the position would be filled by the start of the 2006-07 school year.

Reach Diana Samuels at [email protected].