Staying Close to Home (Baseball)

Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and Michigan make up less than 15 percent of the population of the United States, but players from these four Midwestern states occupy 20 out of the 28 slots on Northwestern’s roster.

In fact only six Wildcats players have to drive more than seven hours to get home.

“I get to go home a lot and just relax,” senior Pat McMahon said. “If I have a weekend off, I’ll go home and hang out with my family and friends, get my laundry done.”

McMahon, who comes from Mundelein, Ill., which is about 40 minutes northwest of Evanston, said NU’s proximity is an attractive feature for area players.

“It was a big factor in my decision-making process to come to Northwestern,” he said.

In addition to the geography factor, the number of Midwesterners fosters a sense of familiarity that helps the players make the transition from high school to the college game.

Carmel High School, where McMahon played before NU, has contributed two other players to the Cats in the two years after he came: junior pitcher Ryan Myers and shortstop Jon Mikrut, who graduated last year.

McMahon said he played an active role in convincing his battery mate Myers to don the purple and white.

“I talked him through the process, talked to his parents,” he said. “It’s easier going into any situation knowing people.”

Coach Paul Stevens said the connections like this with area schools have been helpful recruiting tools over the years.

“Every opportunity you get to get kids that have played at the same high school or on the same summer league teams, that’s absolutely huge,” he said.

Junior pitcher George Kontos didn’t have any teammates to lean on while making his transition to college, but he did have a frequent opponent.

Kontos said he and former Cats first baseman Mark Ori, who was selected by the Houston Astros in the 2005 MLB Draft, knew each other as players because they came from the same conference.

“In high school, I was a little scrawny kid,” he said. “When we first played him, the visitor and home bullpens were right next to each other, so when I was warming up to start the game I was standing right next to him.

“He was an absolute giant, so I was a little bit intimidated. But then I got a little bit bigger and he kind of leveled off, so it wasn’t that intimidating once I got here.”

Kontos said while this familiarity helps in the beginning, its effects even out over time.

“The people that aren’t from around here are kind of like the new guys, not knowing to expect,” he said. “But after a week of being around, everyone’s the same, doesn’t matter where you’re from.”

Coach Paul Stevens said that he sees differences in Midwestern recruits from players in other regions.

While places like Texas, Florida and California produce well-seasoned baseball players, Stevens said this region has a number of multi-sport athletes whose baseball skills develop more at the college level.

“Over the years we’ve developed a pattern on how we go about with recruiting,” Stevens said. “We’ve stayed with it because for the most part it’s worked pretty well.”

Reach David Morrison at [email protected].