Cooper earns national audition (Softball)

When Northwestern’s season comes to an end, junior Garland Cooper’s will be just getting started.

USA Softball invited the All-American first baseman to participate in its selection camp for the 2006 World University Games. Cooper is one of 27 college players who will compete for a spot on the team at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, Calif., June 9-11.

That’s just four days after the conclusion of the Women’s College World Series, where Cooper is attempting to lead the No. 14 Wildcats. This weekend, she will focus on helping NU win at least one of its two games at Illinois to clinch the Big Ten title. But at the same time, she can’t help but look into the future.

“Ever since I’ve been a little girl, it’s been a dream of mine to be a part of USA Softball,” Cooper said. “I’ve worked hard since I was six years old, taking the steps I needed to take to be on that level.”

If Cooper is selected to the squad, she will compete in the 2006 World University Softball Championships in Taiwan, July 15-23. If she impresses enough, there’s even a possibility she could be named to the USA National Team. But even if she isn’t, Cooper will set herself up to potentially be picked in the future.

“It’s an opportunity to play with the best college softball players in the country,” coach Kate Drohan said. “And it’s a foot in the door to be a part of the National Team.”

Cooper is the first NU player to get this type of opportunity since former second baseman Carri Leto, who was invited to the National Team camp in 2003 but couldn’t participate due to injury.

Cooper hopes her experience will be a positive one and will reflect back on the Cats, causing people to take notice of the team despite the sport’s West Coast bias.

“I think this year we’ve gotten a little more recognition,” Cooper said. “This is just another example of that. It’s showing that teams in the Pac 10 are not the only teams that can play softball and compete at that level.”

While the competition for roster spots is sure to be brutal, Cooper appears to have the r