CAs old and new enthusiastic for next year’s duties

Weinberg freshman Laura Colee calls Allison Hall her “home away from home.”

The fourth-floor resident said her dorm is the place where she can “relax or vent and generally feel comfortable.”

Colee said she wants to create the same atmosphere for next year’s freshmen and, as a Community Assistant in Bobb Hall for 2006-2007, she will have the chance.

Of the 106 CAs selected for the coming academic year, 36 are returning CAs. Colee was one of 115 students who applied for CA positions this year.

Applicants selected for CA positions were given offers during Reading Week of Winter Quarter. They decided to accept or decline by March 29.

Six students declined their offers, mainly because of study abroad plans or other leadership obligations, said Virginia Koch, senior assistant director of Undergraduate Residential Life.

Although the number of applicants did not significantly change from last year, Koch said the selection process is becoming more competitive.

Returning CAs and area coordinators helped select this year’s CAs. Koch said they look for students who are personable and who “know themselves” and are “willing to be open to expressing themselves.”

Some CAs said they were motivated by the chance to relate to residents.

“I truly enjoy hanging out with people,” said Colee, who became interested in the position after talking to an Allison CA. “I know the campus well enough, and I went through a lot of what freshmen have gone through.”

But being a CA also means more responsibility.

“The moment you’re hired, you’re a CA all the time,” said returning CA Josh Urich, recalling advice his boss gave him when he was first selected. “Everything you do has to reflect that, even your away messages on AIM. What you do now is to be a role model for residents.”