Evanston would be better off as part of Chicago

More than a century ago, Evanston residents went to the polls, voting on a referendum on whether Chicago should annex our city. Obviously this proposal was soundly rejected, and the cities have since gone their own ways. It’s time we took another look at joining our neighbor to the south.

Without dwelling too much on the practicality, popularity or legality of annexation, I think it would be a win-win situation for almost everybody involved. In fact, the only people who would lose from this plan are the ones who are better off losing.

Back in 1894, the vote against annexation was 2,055 to 642. It’s amazing that less than 50 years after Evanston was founded, there were so many residents who felt so attached to the town. Today, annexation wouldn’t even get on the ballot.

And that’s a shame, because there are so many benefits to it. Let’s start with Northwestern. It’s no secret Evanston hates us because we don’t pay property taxes. If we became part of a much larger city, this issue would become a moot point.

Along with the improved town-gown relationship, there would be no more need for the Evanston City Council. Simply put, Evanston would become Chicago’s 51st Ward and the nine aldermen would be replaced by one person who would represent us down in the Loop. The other eight members could get on with their lives (due to the collapsing nature of the Evanston Civic Center, annexation could actually save their lives). Think of all the free time they’ll have now that they won’t have to worry about agendas, condos and the bourgeois louts who speak up when it’s time for citizen comment.

It’s really easy to drive to 2100 Ridge Ave. and drone on and on about trees or underage drinking. But will those gadflies make the same effort to head down to Chicago City Hall? Some will, but the casual nuisances will likely stay home. Who wants to worry about parking or taking the El late at night?

With the residents out of the way, government will become more efficient. It might take less than two years to approve a retirement home, for instance. And if aldermen are indecisive, Richard Daley could step in and sort things out. The ineffective Lorraine Morton would be replaced by America’s most visionary mayor.

The local school boards, one of which is mired in controversy, would give way to Chicago Public Schools. Maybe they’ll install metal detectors to keep the janitors from bringing guns to school. See what I mean? Everyone wins with annexation. Even the kids.

Perhaps even the CTA will finally respect us once we’re part of Chicago. Wouldn’t it be nice to have mid-day and weekend Purple Line Express trains? With more service to downtown Chicago, more students will take the El, and the university might finally get us the U-Pass unlimited ride card. Wouldn’t it be nice to ride to Mag Mile for free?

Chicago seems to have so much ingenuity. Some man created the Web site chicagocrime.org, where you can look at a map of your neighborhood and see where all the crimes occurred. They’re also thinking of installing a citywide wi-fi network. I haven’t heard of anything similar in Evanston.

And it’s not like we would lose any of our identity. Los Angeles once annexed Hollywood, but everyone still knows Hollywood. We can be just like Hollywood, sans the prostitutes. Who would say no to that?

City Editor Greg Hafkin is a Medill junior. He can be reached at [email protected].