Outgoing ASG members reflect on time as officers

Associated Student Government is undergoing a changing of the guard, with new executive board members replacing old members throughout the month.

The first four executive board positions, including treasurer and speaker of the Senate, were elected during a Senate meeting two weeks ago. The winners of Tuesday’s election were sworn in Wednesday, and the remaining three positions will be filled next Wednesday.

For Weinberg senior Jill Sager, outgoing external relations chair, ASG was about “friendship, hard work and dedication.” She said one of her biggest accomplishments was watching Evanston City Council members overwhelmingly pass the ASG-organized bill that allowed student groups to hold bar fund-raisers. She said her committee helped improve relations between Northwestern and the city this year.

“Working with the council is challenging,” she said. “There’s a fairly entrenched animosity that doesn’t go away overnight.”

There was much more contact between students and aldermen, she said, and the city began working on some of ASG’s ideas, like putting emergency blue light phones at the Foster Street and Noyes Street El stops.

Executive board members worked to resolve internal problems as well. After a year of pushing for transparency in ASG’s finances, SESP sophomore Ivy LeTourneau stepped down as treasurer at the March 29 Senate meeting.

“The way I describe it is that I’m glad I did it, but if were asked to do it again, I wouldn’t,” LeTourneau said. “One year is enough.”

Previous administrations were criticized for spending too much on events for only ASG members and for keeping their financial records secret. LeTourneau said she hoped the budget she created for the upcoming year, which was more specific in outlining spending categories, would help continue transparency.

Campus Public Relations Committee Chairwoman Jenn McQuiston, a Medill senior, said watching her committee work well together was a high point of the year. McQuiston said her role as a spokesperson was difficult, especially working with a student body that was often critical of ASG.

“It’s hard work changing student thought,” she said.

McQuiston said now that she doesn’t have to go to Senate meetings, she was trying to “rally our old (executive) board around a Wednesday night drinking club.”

Reach Diana Samuels at [email protected].