Passion prof’ to speak on ‘threat to mankind’

Dating is a brutal business – and sometimes it’s not the fault of the two people actually dating.

That’s Mo Rocca’s opinion. A comedian and self-described “professor of passion,” Rocca will explain his theory in an interactive lecture entitled “Gamekillers 101.” Rocca is being brought to campus by A&O Productions, and his show will take place at 6 p.m. on Monday at the Ryan Family Auditorium.

Rocca, known for his stint as a correspondent on “The Daily Show,” has been on tour on East Coast and Midwest college campuses. At each school he visits, he talks about each category of Gamekillers while also furthering his own “research” on the matter.

Rocca will go into detail at the show about 14 categories of people – 11 male and 3 female – whose sole purpose in life is to ruin someone’s chances of attracting a girl.

“This is part of an outreach, a community service, a way to give back to the community and pay it forward,” Rocca said. “This is a syndrome. It is a threat to mankind since the beginning of time.”

There are segments of the show where Rocca interviews a resident faculty member, shows “hidden camera” research and helps members of the audience to find the Gamekiller in themselves.

Some of the classifications of male Gamekillers include IQ – “someone who knows all the Scrabble cue words” – and Sensitivo – “he scribbles in a journal and he listens to (National Public Radio).” One of the female Gamekillers is Mother Hen, also known as “the gatekeeper.”

“Her mantra is ‘We go out as a group. We go home as a group,'” Rocca said.

After his stop at Penn State University on Wednesday, Rocca said the dominant Gamekiller on that campus seemed to be the Baller, someone “who probably has a pending deal with Nike.”

He has also appeared on “The Tonight Show” and “I Love the 80s.”

Matt Markese, a Communication junior, said he hoped Rocca’s dry sense of humor and wit would draw a large audience.

“I really like his ironical sense,” Markese said. “It’d be really interesting to see what it turns into, what sort of crowd would go, whether there’s support for that kind of humor at Northwestern.”

Communication junior Chris Malleo said he was interested in going to the show to see how the audience would participate in Rocca’s “research.”

“I think that Mo Rocca will be pretty funny,” he said. “I’ve been watching Comedy Central and ‘The Daily Show.’ I’d love to see the responses some people have.”

Reach Nitesh Srivastava at [email protected].