Norris cancels extra hours

Students hoping to study late in Norris University Center during finals week will have to find another place to work.

Norris will only stay open until midnight from March 12 to March 16, Norris officials announced in an ad in Thursday’s Daily. In the past Norris was open until 3 a.m. to accommodate students who wanted stay late to prepare for finals.

Norris at night:

• Norris will only serve one late-night breakfast during Finals Week.
  • The building will be open from 8 a.m. to midnight Monday through Saturday and from 10 a.m. to midnight Sunday.

A pancake breakfast also will be served on Tuesday of Finals Week from 11 p.m. until midnight. Willie’s Too and the C-Store will stay open late for hungry students studying in Norris.

Previously, breakfast was served in Norris after midnight every night during Finals Week. Operating hours during Finals Week will now be the same as regular business hours, from 8 a.m. until midnight Monday through Saturday, and 10 a.m. until midnight on Sunday.

Norris Director Rick Thomas said Thursday that hours changed because few students were using Norris after midnight.

“People haven’t been utilizing the extended hours in any significant way,” Thomas said.

The Norris Center Advisory Board, composed of students, faculty, alumni and staff, decided to have only one late-night breakfast also because of low student interest, Thomas said. He said he thinks participation in Norris’ breakfasts have dwindled to fewer than 20 people.

“The goal is to do a single breakfast,” Thomas said, with hopes that more students come to the earlier time. “Our goal is to have some celebrity servers come,” he added. Thomas could not give details as to who would be serving students.

He added he would be one of the servers. Norris staff and other servers would be asked to stay late to help. Willie’s Too and the C-Store will probably be open until 11 p.m. the night of the pancake breakfast, Thomas said.

Students also can print for free on the first floor of Norris, according to the advertisement.

Many students said they were unaware of the changes in Norris’ schedule but said they usually don’t study in Norris. Instead, they study in the library or in their residential buildings.

Janice Chan, a McCormick senior, said she does not often study late at Norris during Finals Week, but she “studied in the lounge last year.”

Although he does not usually study late in Norris during finals week, McCormick senior Chris Lee said he was disappointed with the breakfast changes. Lee was unaware of Norris’ Finals Week changes, but he said he has been going to the breakfasts since his freshman year.

“That’s the best part of finals week,” he said.

Reach Christina Amoroso at [email protected].