ASG looks for best division of new SAF funds

Smaller and newer student groups that host few large events could become eligible for Associated Student Government funding, if an amendment to ASG’s constitution passes at tonight’s Senate meeting.

Currently only groups designated as A-status by ASG receive funding. Senators recently passed a bill supporting an increase in the Student Activities Fee, a $40 quarterly charge students pay with tuition, to adjust for inflation and open funding opportunities to all ASG recognized student groups.

DEAL OR NO DEAL? THE FINAL VOTE ON THE SAF INCREASE:

• The current ASG Constitution prohibits B- and T-status groups from receiving funding.
  • Tonight’s second amendment would have ASG poll students before voting on future amendments.
  • The third amendment could change the process for placing Executive Committee and Student Activities Finance Board members.

At the Feb. 15 meeting, senators repeatedly voted against the original bill that supported opening ASG funding to B- and T-status groups because it violated ASG’s constitution, which specifically requires that money go only to A-status groups.

Northwestern’s trustees, who ultimately must approve the fee increase, have told ASG they will not support an increase unless the money is available to all recognized student groups.

Tonight’s amendment would make that funding possible, and Executive Vice President Jay Schumacher said he hoped the entire debate about the fee increase finally would be resolved.

Schumacher, a Communication junior, said ASG has not yet determined the logistics of how the funds will be distributed to B- and T-status groups, which are currently not eligible for SAF funding.

An average of about five or six student groups have attended recent forums to discuss the funding process, he said.

The new process should take into account the diversity of B- and T-status groups, Schumacher said. They range from large, self-sufficient groups, such as Dance Marathon, to smaller a cappella and community service groups.

Under the current system for A-status groups, most money is used to fund events like speakers and plays. ASG often considers attendance at events when deciding how much money a group should get. Many community service groups are B-status because they do not host large public events.

Also, funding rules require that student groups return 75 percent of profits they make from their events to the funding pool, to be distributed later to other student groups.

Because DM’s proceeds go to charity, it would not make sense for DM to participate in the funding process, co-chairwoman and Weinberg senior Cecilia Byrne said.

In determining which B-status groups should receive funds under the new program, ASG should take into account how the group contributes to NU and the local community, said Frank Du, co-president of Student Blood Services, a group that organizes campus blood drives.

“They shouldn’t just think of how many Northwestern students are participating,” said Du, a McCormick sophomore.

Student Blood Services was demoted to B-status last month and had not received any funding as an A-status group.

Andrea McMartin, president of Northwestern University Outing Club and a McCormick senior, also said ASG should evaluate the “quality and not the quantity of students affected” by the group’s events.

Schumacher said he is still working with student group leaders, but by the end of this quarter they should have a general idea of how they will disburse the funds.

At tonight’s meeting senators also will vote on two other amendments.

One would require ASG to poll students before voting on amendments, and another would change the process for filling vacancies on the Executive Committee and the Student Activities Finance Board.

Reach Diana Samuels at [email protected].