Paint thE-Town: The Daily’s guide to weekends

Friday Night Wine Gatherings: Wines of Veneto

Va Pensiero Restaurant

1566 Oak Avenue

(847) 475-7779

Feb. 24, 7:00 p.m.

$35 per person

Every month, Va Pensiero features dishes and wine from one of Italy’s 20 regions. At February’s Friday Night Wine Gathering, visitors will sample eight different wines from Veneto (Venice) and view a presentation about wine tasting.

Manager Luis Cruz said the monthly event, which Va Pensiero has held four times so far, gets an excellent turnout because people like to learn how to pick the right wine for their taste or one that complements their meal.

“For people that like to go out, they want to know what they’re getting for their money,” Cruz said. “People are more and more interested about wine.”

Wine director Jason Prah will host the event, and one or two guest wine experts will speak about each sample and answer questions, Cruz said.

“(Prah is) the person in charge of getting and selling wine (for the restaurant), and that’s basically his job,” Cruz said.

Guests also will receive booklets about the different wines and light appetizers such as fruit and cheese.

“Flattened”

Evanston Art Center

2603 Sheridan Road

(847) 475-5300

Opening reception Feb. 26, 1:00-4:00 p.m.

Free admission

Evanston Art Center’s newest exhibit, “Flattened,” is still a work in progress – and it’s not hard to see why.

“(Artist) Keith Anderson has taped about 1,000 black clothespins to the wall,” said Lelde Kalmite, director of development and public relations coordinator. “He’s painted them all individually. It’s been taking him several days.”

The exhibit deals with abstraction, which Kalmite calls a fundamental issue in art.

“Basically, the artists are challenging one of the main goals of traditional abstraction, which is flatness,” Kalmite said. “Abstraction has been around for about 100 years and revisited many times by many artists throughout the century.”

During the opening reception, the curator of the gallery will host a panel discussion with the five artists, who each come from different ethnic backgrounds, Kalmite said. Each of the artists created pieces that were very different