Split personalities: Rockers show their secret identities

Asif Khan is an immunologist by day.Unbeknownst to his colleagues, he leads a double life – as a drummer for the alternative-rock band Johnny Hi-Fi.

“It’s like that Batman thing, which is kind of cool,” he said.

Khan and other band members spoke Tuesday night about their experiences balancing music and professional careers and encouraged students to strike a similar balance in their own lives.

About 85 students attended, said Communication junior Andrea Chen, co-president of the Chinese Students Association, which sponsored the event.

Band members spoke for about 40 minutes, jammed for about 40 more and left students begging for T-shirts, CDs and autographs.

Khan said he purposely chose the study of the immune system so he could have a less rigorous call schedule and devote more time to his music.

“This balance is a fine wire act, but it can be done,” Khan said.

Johnny Hi-Fi gives similar seminars and performances at colleges across the nation, said McCormick junior Albert Leung, CSA’s other co-president.

Leung said the event’s message is especially important in Asian cultures, where professional jobs are emphasized, although it applies to other cultures too.

“You can have your cake and eat it, too,” Leung said.

The band is composed of 32-year-old guitarist and vocalist Eric Hsu, also known as Johnny Hi-Fi, who started an Internet company; Khan, a 35-year-old allergist and immunologist; Kim Henry, a 35-year-old guitarist and vocalist who works for an advertising agency; and Justin Matsubara, a 31-year-old bass player who co-founded a software company.

“What they do for a living is not your average pumping gas kind of jobs,” Henry said.

Members work their professional jobs by day and practice with the band by night and on Sundays, Henry said.

Hsu asked how many students were passionate about what they were studying at NU and estimated that about 30 percent of them raised their hands, a figure he attributed to parental pressure. Students understand that, although they might want to pursue other interests, their parents want to make sure they have successful careers, he said.

“We try to go about a profession that is more responsibility,” he said. “You really want to do something else, but at the same time you want to show your parents a diploma.”

Khan suggested students help their parents understand the importance of their interests. A student heavily involved in the equestrian team could take her parents to a practice.

“You really have to let them know what it means to you,” he said. “You have to let them share it.”

But it is equally important not to let one area of interest dominate your life, the performers said.

The balance has had financial benefits for Johnny Hi-Fi. The money performers earn in their professional careers helps cover the band’s expenses, Henry said.

Weinberg senior Janet Hsiao said the event inspired her to pursue dance or other opportunities outside of the consulting job she will start in Beijing after graduation. She said the event had given her a new perspective on how to balance work and outside interests.

“It was just something that didn’t occur to me,” she said. “It was just something that wasn’t even going to be considered.”

Reach Lauren Pond at [email protected].