Dancers use feet to offer a helping hand

Although Dance Marathon is just around the corner, not all of Northwestern’s student body is willing to dance for 30 straight hours. Some campus groups allow students to get their fill of dancing and philanthropy without the sleep deprivation.

Membership among NU’s dance groups has increased steadily among the years, and some groups are seeking to reach out into the community as they grow.

Vanessa Hsieh, a Communication senior who has danced with Lady Cats since freshman year, has noticed that the team’s membership has become more loyal over the years.

“I’m a senior now, and in my freshman year, there was inconsistent membership,” Hsieh said. “This year we have a large number of seniors, (and) less of a turnover rate. A lot of people are serious and committed and want to do this for the remainder of their time here.”

Lady Cats performs at athletic events and participates in philanthropy activities throughout the year, including Special Olympics’ Walk of Hope, Relay for Life and the Dance Marathon Dance Show.

Ballroom Latin and Swing Thing also is an active presence on campus.

Students can take dance class ranging thematically from Latin and swing to tango during the school year.

This year, 100 people have signed up to take dance classes, said Nikki Ann Guevarra, BLAST’s president and a McCormick senior. Enrollment typically increases after its spring show, which this year will be on April 13, 14 and 15. The group recently extended the show’s run from two days to three, Guevarra said.

BLAST also will host a ballroom dance competition for the first time in April. The Northwestern Classic Competition will be similar to other competitions organized by schools like the University of Michigan and Purdue University, Guevarra said.

As it grows, BLAST is using the opportunity to reach out into the surrounding community. The group will work with the Chicago Public School system to host an event May 6 called “Having a Ball.”

The program will expose underprivileged children to ballroom dancing as NU students meet and teach them to dance.

“(The children) will be able to meet college kids and see what they can look forward to,” Guevarra said.

BLAST has also performed at the Northwestern Community Development Corps Senior Gala, a Hurricane Katrina relief concert earlier this year, and at sororities and campus firesides.

“Dancing and teaching – we do it whenever and wherever we can,” Guevarra said.

Fusion Dance Company, NU’s hip-hop dance group, also is a major presence on campus. The group gives hip-hop classes on Sundays at Blomquist Recreation Center for $3 per lesson.

What started out as a group of five students four years ago has grown into a dance company of 31 students today, said Weinberg senior Rachel Pike, the artistic director of Fusion.

Like BLAST and Lady Cats, Fusion tries to get involved with philanthropy, such as performing at DM and at Martin Luther King Jr. Day events, Pike said.

“The more we perform, the more people know us,” she said.

Reach Andrea Castillo at [email protected].