News Brief

Head of EPD might join police force in Rockford

Evanston Chief of Police Frank Kaminski might double his staff if selected to be the next chief of police for Rockford, Ill.

Kaminski is one of six finalists to become chief of police in Rockford, said Sam Castree, secretary of Rockford’s Board of Fire and Police Commissioners. Fifty-three people applied for the job. The new hire would replace Interim Chief of Police Dominic Iasparro, who has had the job since Chief Steven Pugh retired Nov. 2.

The city has a population of about 150,000, making it the third largest city in Illinois and about twice the size of Evanston.

The candidates will meet with Rockford citizens Wednesday night during an informal open house, Castree said, where the public can meet the candidates in person and speak with them.

“When the process began to select a new chief, the board was looking for public input,” Castree said. “We had three community open houses, giving citizens an opportunity to give their input and concerns.”

On Thursday, the finalists will be assessed by the International Association of Chiefs of Police and interviewed by the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners.

There is no set date for when the final decision will be made, but a selection should be made by the end of the following week, Castree said.

Three of the candidates, including Kaminski, hold positions in police departments in Illinois. One is a retired United States Marshall and the other two work as a chief of police in Ohio and as a law enforcement adviser in Virginia.

The selected candidate will then fill the position within three to four weeks depending their previous job, Castree said.

Rockford’s police department consists of 299 sworn officers, according to department’s Web site. The Evanston Police Department employs 161 sworn personnel, 129 of whom are police officers.

Kaminski did not return phone messages from The Daily Monday afternoon.