Wolverines’ record-setting day proves to be too much for Cats (Men’s Swimming)

On a record-filled day in Evanston, the No. 15 Wildcats fell to No. 6 Michigan 166-125 at a packed Norris Aquatics Center.

Pool records fell in each of the first four events.

The Cats started the day by breaking the 400-yard medley relay record with a time of 3:14.96. Michigan took the next two races, sweeping the 1000-freestyle and going 1-2 in the 200-free, breaking pool records in each.

Michigan freshman Matt Patton shattered the pool record with a time of 8:57.92 in the 1000-free, and two-time defending Big Ten swimmer of the year, Peter Vanderkaay, captured the first of two individual wins on the day in the 200-free.

NU looked like it might bounce back after the fourth race, when junior Matt Grevers set a new pool best of 46.85 in the 100-yard backstroke. The performance came after Grevers had earlier lost his leg of the 400 medley relay to Michigan’s Chris DeJong.

“Matt kind of redeemed himself after DeJong beat him in the 100 back in the relay,” Groseth said.

But in the end, Michigan’s depth proved too much for NU, with Michigan taking at least two of the top three spots in 14 of 16 events. Strong races from freshman like Patton overpowered the Cats, who have battled depth issues all season, and earned the praises of the NU coach.

“(Patton’s) a guy that’s probably going to score at NCAAs,” Groseth said. “He is a great swimmer.”

In all, seven pool records and one school record were shattered at Saturday’s end, with the visitors setting five of the marks. In the 200-back, won in pool record time by Big Ten record-holder DeJong, Grevers set a new mark himself by breaking the NU all-time best. His time of 1:42.59 was good for second and an NCAA ‘A’ standard in the event.

It was only Grevers second loss in the backstroke this season, the other coming against University of Florida Olympian Ryan Lochte at the Purdue Invitational, but Groseth said he was impressed.

“I don’t think (Grevers) was mentally prepared as he should have been for the relay,” Groseth said, “but he’s got a lot of pride and he came back and laid it on the line and that’s what you want to see out of a guy that’s an NCAA champion.”

The matchup marked the final home meet of the season for the Cats, and with it brought the end to the dual careers of seniors Brian Davis, Ben Dexter and Mike Oxman. Oxman had what Groseth called a “spectacular” performance, winning the 1-meter dive with a score of 351.00 and taking second in the 3-meter with a 319.50.

Dexter had a successful meet in his own right, taking second in the 50-free, third in the 100-free and anchoring the record-setting 400-medley relay.

Davis netted points for NU in three events.

As the Cats look ahead to Feb. 23 and the Big Ten championships, Groseth said the key for his team will be the performance of his freshmen and sophomores. While they have shown promise throughout the year, it will not be enough to take home a title for NU.

“You can’t stand up at the blocks at Big Tens and say, ‘I have great potential,’ because those guys won’t care,” Groseth said.

Reach Ben Larrison at [email protected].