Groups start month with talk on black identity

An article in Thursday’s Daily should have said that Black History Month events at NU began Jan. 29.

About 50 students crowded into 1914 Sheridan Road on Wednesday night to participate in a discussion entitled “Shades of Black: Ethnicity, Identity, nU” hosted by CaribNation and black student alliance For Members Only.

The discussion marks the kick-off for Black History Month. Other planned events include a toy and supply drive for an orphanage in Jamaica, a winter show featuring socially conscious art, an on-campus party and other events to be announced, said Marissa Jackson, president of CaribNation.

A “Family Guy” video clip led into a discussion aimed at identifying and breaking black stereotypes. One member of the audience suggested rap videos and black stand-up comedians fuel misconceptions about blacks to other races.

Moderators encouraged the audience to add comments and concerns in a basket for the entire group to talk about.

This discussion also led into the issue of relationships within the black community. Several audience members emphasized the idea that blacks shouldn’t judge each other based on preconceived notions of “blackness.”

One student asked the audience, “Why are we (as blacks) so concerned about how we act? There’s more to fight in the world than ourselves.”

Students talked about the relationship between African immigrants and African Americans. They defined being African American as someone of African descent whose family has been in the United States for at least four generations. Jackson said although blacks may come from different backgrounds, many face similar kinds of discrimination.

“We are all diverse, but people still judge us. If Katrina were to hit Evanston, we’d be fools to think it’d be any better,” said Jackson, a Weinberg senior.

During the event, Jackson showed a documentary she produced based on a study done at Harvard University. The study showed that many college students who said they were African American actually identified themselves as biracial or of Caribbean or African descent. Some people at Wednesday’s discussion suggested these groups should be ineligible for the financial aid Harvard has earmarked for African Americans.

In her film, Jackson talked to black members of the Northwestern community and asked their opinions on the survey. Most of the interviewees said ethnicity and race were difficult concepts for individuals to define, and outside figures had no authority to make those sorts of decisions.

Despite the debate, Medill freshman Trudi Antoine said discussions within the black community help foster togetherness at NU.

“There are so many of us on campus and you need to reach out to that spot to see what you’re going through,” Antoine said.

“You don’t have to be afraid to say what’s on your mind. There’s going to be someone for them,” she said.

Reach Andrea Castillo at [email protected].