Zoned out: Wildcats offense still in funk (Women’s Basketball)

With four of its division rivals ranked nationally, it’s somewhat surprising that Northwestern’s toughest foe this season has been the zone defense.

The Wildcats (4-12) have faced an increasing number of zones in their last few games. Their last two opponents, Indiana and Iowa, played almost exclusively from the zone set.

Coach Beth Combs said she doesn’t expect this to change any time soon, as NU prepares to take on UW-Milwaukee (8-7) of the Horizon League.

“They play a lot of 2-3 (zone),” she said. “I’m sure they’re going to continue with that as strong as possible.

“And as other teams scout us getting ready for the second half of the Big Ten, I’d play us a zone too right now, until we prove we can shoot the ball.”

The Cats are shooting 32.2 percent in their last two games, scoring 56 and 48 points.

For a team that struggled to score against the man defense, the zone only makes things harder.

“You have to be able to work the ball around a lot more,” point guard Nadia Bibbs said. “A lot of our offense is half-court man, so we have to get used to more of a zone offense.”

Sophomore Sara Stutz said a big part of beating the zone rests in the team’s ability to exploit the perimeter. The main goals of the 2-3 zone are to limit close-range shots and penetration into the lane.

“We’ve got to just hit our outside shots,” she said. “You might get past the initial layer of defense, but there’s always a second layer just waiting for you, so you can’t get to the basket as easily.”

Besides adjusting to a different type of defense, NU has recently relied on Stutz to fill a variety of unfamiliar roles on offense.

Because of her six-foot frame and versatile game, Stutz is being asked to play in the backcourt and post up in the paint. The sophomore said the multiple roles has taken a toll on her game.

“The only thing it’s really taking away is I constantly have to switch back and forth, and that’s the hardest part for me,” she said. “I might be in the post for four or five possessions, but then someone will sub in and I’ll have to play the point, and then I’ll have to play the two (guard). It’s hard to get a rhythm going.”

Stutz is averaging 8.3 points in 31.7 minutes this season, shooting 36.9 percent.

“We’ve been asking a lot from Sara,” Combs said. “We’re pleased with what she’s doing.

“It’s a very, very difficult adjustment to have to set up in the post and then play backup point guard. It’s probably part of the reason her shot’s not falling.”

Combs said Stutz’s roles may change in tonight’s game.

“We’re going to try to actually eliminate one of those roles for her,” Combs said, “just because it will allow her to concentrate on what she truly does best, and that is to score.”

Reach David Morrison at [email protected].