Spartans sputter to 0-2 start in Big Ten’s first week (Men’s Basketball)

To the unsuspecting college basketball fan, there might appear to be an error at the bottom of the Big Ten standings.

The preseason conference favorite, No. 14 Michigan State (12-4, 0-2), finds itself tied for last in the Big Ten after the first week of games. Coach Tom Izzo knew his team had a very tough six game opening stretch to start Big Ten play, but dropping the first two league games won’t help his team’s confidence.

In a top-10 match-up, Michigan State visited Illinois on Thursday, where Dee Brown’s 34 points were too much for the Spartans to overcome. Michigan State fell 60-50. Two days later, Michigan State visited Wisconsin’s Kohl Center, another tough venue for road teams. No. 21 Wisconsin (12-2, 2-0) cruised to an 82-63 victory.

“I’m really not as disappointed by the losses as I am by the way we played offensively,” Izzo said. “Our offense has really struggled and because of that I think we’ve looked like an inept team at times in both games.”

Michigan State will try to turn things around at home against Indiana on Wednesday before heading to Columbus to take on Ohio State on Saturday. History, however, is not on the Spartans’ side. Dating back to the 1996-97 season, only four of 25 teams beginning the season 0-2 have finished with a winning league record.

road worriers

One week into conference play, the road hasn’t been kind to Big Ten teams. Home teams won nine of 10 Big Ten games in the conference’s opening week, with Northwestern (9-4, 2-0 Big Ten) being the lone road victor, winning 57-49 at Minnesota (9-3, 0-1) on Saturday.

No. 7 Illinois (15-1, 1-1) and No. 19 Ohio State (11-1, 1-1) each suffered their first loss of the season in their first road game. Ohio State fell to No. 9 Indiana (10-2, 2-0) 81-79 on Saturday, squandering a 17-point lead in the second half.

“I think you have to try to hold serve at home,” Indiana coach Mike Davis said. “We got down 17 to Ohio State, and Michigan really came in here and played hard and played well against us. We just kept a fight, and I think it’s easier to fight when your fans are behind you. You’ve got to take care of home. It’s a must.”

Iowa (12-4, 1-1) dealt the Illinois its first defeat Saturday as well, a 63-48 loss in which the Illini shot 35 percent from the field.

However, despite stressing the importance of winning at home, Iowa coach Steve Alford said it will be hard to win anywhere, home or away.

“It’s easy to say that you’ve got to take care of home,” Alford said, “but I think that’s easier said than done.”

wisconsin on

While Ohio State, Illinois and Michigan State have been garnering attention, another Big Ten contender has flown under the radar. No. 21 Wisconsin is ranked third in the Ratings Percentage Index and has only lost at Wake Forest and at undefeated No. 12 Pittsburgh.

Wisconsin opened up its Big Ten season with a 66-52 victory over Iowa and followed up with its rout of Michigan State and a 64-62 win at Minnesota.

Junior guard Kammron Taylor has elevated his game this season, averaging 14.7 points per game compared to 8.4 a year ago. Wisconsin also has benefited from the improved play of sophomore Brian Butch, who is starting to live up to expectations after being an All-American coming out of high school. The forward is averaging 11.3 points and 6.7 rebounds per game. Couple that with star junior Alando Tucker, averaging 18.9 points and 5.3 rebounds per game, and the Badgers are atop the Big Ten after the first week.

“I was very pleased with our guys with the first couple of games we had,” Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan said. “Now we can see if we can continue what we’re doing.”

Reach Michael Schlossberg at [email protected].