Three hope to qualify for Junior Olympics at home event (Fencing)

The Wildcats have defeated 12 fencing teams this season but are still disappointed by their one loss in their first two-day tournament – to defending NCAA champion Notre Dame.

NU placed eighth at the NCAA championships last season and sought to go undefeated in dual matches this season. However, the Cats fell to Notre Dame on Nov. 20 at NU Duals.

“We really got creamed by Notre Dame. Fortunately they were the only ones that were able to do that,” freshman Adrienne Shon said. “We need to upset some people – beat people that, given the numbers, we really shouldn’t beat.”

Assistant coach Ed Kaihatsu said NU should have defeated the Irish because although Notre Dame won the NCAA championship last year, many of their top fencers graduated. Even with the loss, Kaihatsu sees promising signs for the Cats.

“They’re all showing that they know how to fight,” Kaihatsu said. “They’re trained to win and when they don’t win they’re angry.”

Sophomore Gina Annunziato acknowledged Notre Dame is a good team, but she said she thinks the Cats can overcome them. NU will face the Irish again this season.

“It’s hard because they have the gold medal Olympic winner on their team,” Annunziato said. “But I did fence against her and I did almost beat her so honestly anything can happen.”

Coach Laurie Schiller said one of the Cats’ biggest obstacles to being No. 1 this year will be qualifying fencers for the NCAA competition because Notre Dame and Ohio State, which have dominated the NCAA title the last three years, are both in NU’s region. Since a limited number of fencers from each region can go to the competition, this poses a challenge to the Cats.

“We have some young (fencers) this year and we have some experience,” Schiller said. “We have a number of freshmen and some of them are quite good, but they have to get used to fencing in college.”

Several of the younger fencers are vying for a chance to go to or are already en route to the Junior Olympics, which will be held Feb. 17-20 in Hartford, Conn.

Annunziato, Shon and sophomore Gabby Aiuto will compete for a chance to go to the Junior Olympics at the Illinois Junior Olympic Qualifier this Saturday at Patten Gym. The three will mainly face high school fencers. Freshmen Kellie Fry, Sam Nemecek and Megan Ross have already qualified for the Junior Olympics by acquiring enough points through competitions.

“This is my last year (of eligiblity for the Junior Olympics) and I want to do really well,” said Annunziato, who won the qualifier last year but missed most of last season due to illness. “This is my final year and I want to at least get (in the) top 32.”

Aiuto went to the Junior Olympics during her senior of high school but didn’t make it last year.

“Last year I had a really disappointing loss at (the Junior Olympic Qualifier) and I didn’t qualify,” Aiuto said. “It was definitely a tough moment in my career because I had been getting a lot better. This is the last year I’m young enough to go, so I’m hoping to qualifiy.”

Reach Annie Martin at [email protected].