Senators pushed new projects during Winter Break

Members of Associated Student Government moved forward on initiatives over Winter Break in preparation for tonight’s Senate meeting, the first since November.

Student Services committee members circulated an e-mail petition over break, asking for a cafe to be opened near South Campus dorms. More than 500 students have signed the petition, said Weinberg junior Whitney Gretz, student services vice president.

What’s ASG up to?

• ASG’s Student Services committee began petitioning for a South Campus cafe

• Senate launched NUlinks.com, a calendar Web site for posting student groups’ events

• Facilities Management rearranged the set-up of left-handed desks in Harris 107

• At tonight’s meeting Speaker of the Senate Dan Broadwell will present the State of the Senate address

Gretz, Executive Vice President Jay Schumacher and members of the Student Services committee also helped work on a new student portal, tentatively titled NU Link. The Web site will allow student groups to post events without administrative hassle, and students can customize calendars with personal events and reminders, said Medill junior Robby Stein, a former Daily staffer, who developed the site. The Web site should be launched sometime next week, he said.

Desks in Harris 107 were changed to accommodate left-handed students, after Senate passed a bill in November calling for more left-handed desks. Facilities Management moved left-handed desks to the center aisle over the Thanksgiving weekend, but also left the original right-handed desks attached to the chairs, so they can be used by either left- or right-handed students.

The bill also requested that Facilities Management add 15 more left-handed desks to the 15 that are currently in Harris 107. That did not happen, but rearranging the desks was the main goal, said the bill’s sponsor Rachel Leess. The left-handed desks were originally along the left side of the classroom, where a podium blocked students’ views, said Leess, student services committee member and Weinberg sophomore.

Speaker of the Senate Dan Broadwell, a Communication senior, will give the State of the Senate address at tonight’s meeting. Broadwell will discuss what Senate has done so far and what it needs to accomplish, he said. Senate will also elect one senator to the committee that selects the new financial vice president when Weinberg senior David Kim’s term ends next week. The financial vice president is selected by a committee that includes the ASG president, speaker of the Senate, and senators. Then the Senate confirms the committee’s choice.

Reach Diana Samuels at [email protected].