Q&A with Hanson

Hanson is touring 40 colleges between Oct. 11 and Nov. 23, the band said. The Daily’s Tina Peng sat down with Zac, 20; Taylor, 23; and Isaac, 25, after their show to talk about girls, school and independent music.

The Daily: What’s the response been to your film?

Zac: There have been a couple of colleges that’ve picked up the film and started using it for their curriculums.

Isaac: USC, NYU.

Taylor: We’ve had an amazing response in general. These are free screenings. We want people to come that aren’t necessarily interested in Hanson, but we want to get across the message. Whether it’s private schools or big state schools, there’s such a level of interest in the subject matter. The important thing is, in general, you’re having people walk up and be like, “I didn’t know that, and now I’m in and I’m doing more for music.”

Isaac: It’s not about saying all the major labels are bad. (We want to) encourage the alternative music outlets.

The Daily: Do you think being Hanson hurts your message about independent music?

Isaac: It’s definitely a hurdle because of the fact that we’re not perceived as independent. But the fact that it’s a hurdle is part of our message. Independent music is something that is the only vibrant, really growing part of the music business, and that’s where we want to be. A lot of people came tonight that would not have come if not for the fact that they’re a lot more familiar with Hanson.

Taylor: Will the independent music scene see the opportunity to reach more people and maintain its independent core? They can make the choices to make better bands, to focus on quality. Independent has to not be afraid to grow. They can become competition for the people who aren’t doing it right.

The Daily: Do you wish you’d had time to go to college?

Zac: What’s the point of going to college?

Isaac: It’s about figuring out what you want to do in your career.

Isaac: A law degree would be very helpful and effective, (but) we know a lot more about the music business and music law than a lot of students who are already in law school.

The Daily: You were all teenagers (11, 14 and 16) when “MMMBop” came out. How did you deal with the girls?

(Zac met his fiancee at a show, Isaac met his girlfriend at a show and Taylor met his wife at a show.)

Taylor: You’re not like, “Hey, come back to my room,” at 14. I mean, you could. There’s nothing wrong with having a lot of fans that are girls.

Isaac: It’s a lot nicer to look at the audience.