Orchestra granted funds to teach by ‘painting a tune’

The Evanston Symphony Orchestra received a $2,500 grant from the Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Chicago to fund an upcoming program.

Out of the 91 proposals submitted, the Evanston Symphony Orchestra was one of 15 chosen to receive funding. Their show, “Play Me a Picture, Paint Me a Tune!” works with art teachers in Evanston middle schools to encourage students to listen to music and create artwork based on what they hear. The concert is part of the Evanston Symphony Orchestra’s season and will take place in March.

“This is quite a competitive process,” said Leeanne Oue, public relations coordinator for the JCCC. “We thought it was a wonderful program because it meshes both musical and visual arts. It’s very innovative.”

Penelope Sachs, board president of the Evanston Symphony Orchestra, said every program the foundation supports aims to boost student achievement.

Sachs said she went to the board with an idea for a program that would target children involved with McGaw YMCA. Many of them come from lower-income families and lack access to arts programming, she said.

The Evanston Cultural Arts Fund had already offered to pay for 50 percent of the project but told Sachs she needed to find the other half. JCCC was able to support the rest of the program.

“It’s too great for words,” Sachs said. “Now we can really offer these kids a unique experience. If we can’t introduce kids to classical music, we’re not going to have an audience.”

JCCC’s nonprofit foundation has been awarding money to programs or performances that support cultural programming in schools since 1991.

“One of the important things we look for is not just programs that fit squarely into the curriculum of the school but enhance arts education within the school,” Oue said.

The JCCC has existed for almost 40 years. The nonprofit organization was founded in an effort to give back to the Chicago community for its support of Japanese businesses in the area. This year, JCCC reached $2 million in lifetime donations to arts programs in the Chicago area.

“The members of the chamber and the board of directors felt it very important to give back to the community because the local community had been very accepting,” Oue said. “We found a way to do that through these educational grants.”

Reach Kristyn Schiavone at

[email protected].