Alvarez falls in Camp Randall finale (Football-Big Ten Roundup)

The Badgers got off to a quick start in coach Barry Alvarez’s last home game, going up 10-0 in the first quarter. But after holding No. 19 Wisconsin down in the second quarter, Iowa scored 17 points after halftime en route to a 20-10 win.

“It’s hard after a loss to sit there and reflect on the 16 years,” Alvarez said.

Alvarez is stepping down as head coach after the season to concentrate on his duties as athletic director. He has amassed a 116-73-4 record as coach.

The crowd was in a frenzy, waving towels emblazoned with “Thanks coach. Job well done.” But Iowa (6-4, 4-3 Big Ten), led by Albert Young’s 127 rushing yards, would not be denied.

“It was our offensive line doing the job and Albert making the play,” quarterback Drew Tate said. “We just kept doing what we planned. It wasn’t any one player we went after. It didn’t matter who was out there.”

Tate had two touchdown passes in the third quarter to tie the game and then take the lead. A Kyle Schlicher field goal pushed the Hawkeyes’ lead to 10 in the fourth quarter.

Wisconsin (8-3, 5-3) got one last chance after a Young fumble with 1:27 left, but their final drive was marked by confusion and miscommunication as they failed to score.

The win makes Iowa eligible for the postseason, the seventh Big Ten team to clinch a bowl berth. For Wisconsin, the loss has ended its hopes of a share of the Big Ten championship.

Minnesota 41, Michigan State 18

With Laurence Maroney on the sideline with an ankle injury, Minnesota found another running back. Sophomore Amir Pinnix, who has seen limited action this year, came off the bench to rush for 205 yards and a touchdown as Minnesota (7-3, 4-3) put a major dent in Michigan State’s bowl hopes.

“It’s nice to have the kind of depth at running back that our team has,” Minnesota guard Mark Setterstrom said. “We have confidence that any one of our running backs can step in and do well for us.”

The loss means Michigan State (5-5, 2-5) must defeat conference leader Penn State in the season finale to become bowl eligible.

The Spartans were unable to put enough points on the scoreboard despite a good performance from quarterback Drew Stanton, who finished 29 for 46 for 312 yards and two touchdowns.

“I think maybe in times like this we press and try to do too much because we’re trying to find ways to get back to the way we were playing,” Stanton said.

Minnesota quarterback Brian Cupito had a solid day with two touchdown passes, but the running game was the story for the Gophers. Cupito handed the ball off 63 times as Minnesota totaled 326 rushing yards.

Pinnix, who rushed for a career high, attributed the output to Minnesota’s offensive line.

“They kicked our tail today, ” Michigan State coach John L. Smith said. “That’s the best offensive front we’ve seen on tape and played against this year.”

No. 21 Michigan 41, Indiana 14

Indiana gave Michigan a scare early, opening the game with a 77-yard touchdown drive. Once the Wolverines got the ball, however, the Wolverines put on an offense show to take away any thought that Indiana might get its first win in the Big House since 1967.

“We were very upset,” Michigan defensive tackle Gabe Watson said of Indiana’s first drive. “We gathered up on the sideline and said, ‘We can’t have this anymore. We have to go out, stop them and get three and outs.'”

The Wolverines (7-3, 5-2) responded with an offensive flurry, scoring six unanswered touchdowns to build up a 41-7 halftime lead.

The offensive attack was led by quarterback Chad Henne who had three touchdown passes. Running back Kevin Grady rushed for 94 yards and two touchdowns.

The loss cost Indiana (4-6, 1-6) a chance at its first bowl in 13 years.

“I feel bad for our seniors,” Indiana coach Terry Hoeppner said. “They’re not going to get what they want.”

Purdue 37, Illinois 3

It just keeps getting worse for Illinois. After a beating at the hands of Ohio State a week ago, Illinois (2-8, 0-7) went into West Lafayette, Ind., with hopes of finally getting a Big Ten win.

They left with their eighth straight loss and at least a tie for last place in the conference.

Purdue (4-6, 2-5) now has won its second in a row after losing six straight.

The Boilermakers were led on offense by running back Jared Void who rushed for 102 yards and a touchdown. Quarterback Curtis Painter also had a big day, throwing for 206 yards and a touchdown while rushing for two more.

The Illini mustered only 264 yards against the 112th-ranked defense in the country. It was their second consecutive game without a touchdown.

Reach David Kalan at [email protected].