Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Down to 50 Cent –

– for dissing Northwestern’s newest golden boy. So now that “Fitty” has made a few bucks, he’s apparently become a Republican. 50 Cent, whose best-known accomplishment is being shot nine times, has taken a shot at Kanye West. Fitty has a beef with Kanye’s September comment after Hurricane Katrina that George W. Bush doesn’t care about black people.

In a response so delayed it would make his favorite president proud, 50 Cent said Kanye shouldn’t Bush-bash because, “The New Orleans disaster was meant to happen. It was an act of God. What Kanye West was saying, I don’t know where that came from.”

The Daily editorial board usually doesn’t like to get involved in feuds between rappers, but in this instance we couldn’t stay silent.

Message to “Fitty”: Hey shorty, it ain’t your birthday, so don’t mess with NU’s boy of the hour. While the hurricane might be an act of God, George W. Bush’s inaction after Katrina was an act of shame.

And, Kanye, don’t worry, we’ve got your back. George W. Bush might not care about black people, but we care about you.

Thumbs up to Multicultural Greeks –

– for encouraging interest houses to become more diverse. Houses organized around race, such as a “Latino-based” fraternity, are risky ventures and can encourage self-segregation.

While these houses are not officially restricted to a single race, they can sometimes encourage racial homogeneity.

It would be an unwelcome irony for the Multicultural Greek Council, which was founded in 2002, to oversee houses that made the campus less diverse. We are proud to see these houses took up the challenge of becoming more inclusive.

Thumbs Up to Tyrell Sutton –

– for proving all of the doubters wrong. The 2004 Mr. Ohio high school football player has given Northwestern a dominant running game on par with anyone in the country.

NU’s running game has proven to be even better this season, even after back-to-back great seasons from Jason Wright and Noah Herron.

And, to think, only NU and Illinois actively recruited him.

With the Wildcats headed to Ohio State Saturday, the Buckeyes should think about what from their backyard could have been in their backfield.

Imagine the Buckeyes offense if they had four years of Tyrell Sutton in their future. Instead, they can continue to enjoy a lifeless offense that scores about 14 points a game.

It’s a shame size is everything in today’s culture. This little 5-foot-9 running back has been running over the Big Ten.

Now let’s see Randy Walker give Sutton the amount of carries he deserves.

Thumbs up to Vanth –

– for incorporating hard science and community outreach. While the acronym is confusing, its mission couldn’t be any clearer: Get students thinking about engineering and applied science.

For a variety of reasons, it’s generally acknowledged that on the whole, high school students aren’t getting a sufficient math and science background and interest continues to wane.

The solution? Get some of the nation’s best and brightest undergraduates to come in and show them a thing or two. Maybe the program could go a bit further and sponsor a field trip to some of NU’s research laboratories.

It’s time someone put the “fab” back in nanofabrication.

Highs and Lows reflects the opinion of The Daily’s editorial board.