Paint thE-Town

Sundays in the Park

Music Institute of Chicago, 1490 Chicago Ave.

(847) 905-1500

Nov. 13th, 3 p.m. and selected Sundays

Free admission with valid student ID

One of the major goals of the Music Institute of Chicago is to bring the broadest range of music to the broadest audience possible. This Sunday, they will bring together music from five different languages. Soprano Barbara Ann Martin, along with Stanley Davis on clarinet and Frank Winkler on piano, will present an Italian opera aria and music from classical artists such as Mozart and easy listening composers such as Richard Rodgers.

“Our goal is to bring a broad variety of music to the community – that means genres like classical music, musical theater, samba – and make music accessible to a wide audience,” said Susan Van Dusen, Director of Communications at the Music Institute. “That’s why our prices are so low. We want people in the community to be able to enjoy these.”

Although the concert series includes only about 20 concerts throughout the year that are free to everybody, NU students only need to show their WildCARD for any performance.

“We are a secret treasure,” Van Dusen said. “Anything we do is free for NU students.”

The concert hall also has casual Fridays, which offer wine and cheese at 5:30 p.m. and a performance by faculty musicians at 6:30 p.m.

Midwest Clay Guild Holiday Show and Open House

1236 Sherman Ave.

(847) 475-9697

Opening reception Nov. 18

Saturday, Nov. 20, 11 a.m.- 6 p.m.

Sunday, Nov. 21, noon – 5 p.m.

Free admission

For 33 years the Midwest Clay Guild non-profit organization has presented an annual show to raise money for maintaining their workshop.

“This is just a once-a-year thing,” guild president Linda Kramer said. “Because we’re a non-profit, a percentage of the money from sales goes back into running the space, such as cleaning kilns.”

The guild began with nine artists who were taking classes together at the Evanston Art Center, 2603 Sheridan Road, and decided they wanted to get a professional space. Most of the artists have galleries elsewhere for showing their work, but the stations in the guild’s building provide them with the materials and space they need.

“Everyone has a different-sized space, and they pay per square foot,” Kramer said. “The only revenue we have coming in besides the annual open house is their rent.”

The guild invites visitors to browse the work of 15 potters and artists during the open house. Kramer said people can come in or call during the rest of the year to commission an artist or view the artist’s work.

Friday Night Food and Wine Gatherings

Va Pensiero Restaurant

1566 Oak Ave.

(847)475-7779

Nov. 18, 6:30 p.m.

$50 per person

At Va Pensiero eating is not a spectator sport.

They call Food and Wine Gatherings “50 percent cooking class and 50 percent wine tasting.” For $50 visitors learn to prepare fancy dishes for five to seven courses, sampling each item and receiving recipe books to take home.

Throughout the night, visitors sample wine that complements each dish.

The Nov. 18 program, entitled “Destination Tuscany” teaches patrons how to make oven-roasted quail, braised wild boar, guinea hen breast and grilled venison. A holiday program will be available in early December.

Reach Kristyn Schiavone at [email protected].