Breaking bulbs (Volleyball)

As one of two seniors on the volleyball team this year, it’s not surprising that Lizzie Carlson serves as a role model for the younger players. However, according to Lizzie’s sister Catie, Lizzie has led the pack for years.

“In high school, she was pretty much the coach of the team,” said Catie, who played with her sister for three years in high school. “She was the player pretty much everyone looked to. She was more of a coach than our (actual) coach was.”

Lizzie and Catie both started playing volleyball in middle school.

“We played in my living room for as long as I can remember and I think we broke every light fixture in that room,” Lizzie said.

Resigned to the fact their living room had become the sisters’ practice room, the Carlsons had more heavy-duty gym lights installed. Catie said one year she and Lizzie decided to play during Thanksgiving dinner, and the meal was interrupted every five minutes by a ball rolling across the table.

“She was my favorite player on the team to play with, and I think I was her favorite,” Catie said. “We read each other really well.”

Because Lizzie was a hitter and Catie was a setter, they weren’t forced to compete with each other. When Lizzie was a junior and Catie a senior, their team went to the Northern California championship game. They lost, but it was the farthest their high school had ever advanced.

Lizzie was an outside hitter in high school but became a defense specialist once she came to NU. While the switch wasn’t her decision, she said she’s content playing back row.

“I love defense. I’m completely happy where I am in my position,” Carlson said. “But I’m definitely not tall enough, strong enough, nor do I jump high enough to play offense in the Big Ten.”

According to coach Keylor Chan, Carlson’s contribution to the program has been consistency.

“She’s been a big part of our foundation and she’s a good representative of Northwestern volleyball. She’s consistently gotten better,” Chan said. “Her attitude’s always consistent; she’s always ready to practice and play. She doesn’t let outside distractions bother her too much, which is really a testament to her maturity.”

Teammate Christie Gardner, the only other senior on the team, said she and Lizzie have been friends on and off the court since freshman year and lived together until this year.

“(We’ve) experienced wins and losses, good times and bad together. It’s nice to have someone there by your side,” Gardner said. “Lizzie always gives 100 percent. She gives everything her all.”

Gardner added that Carlson is a leader on the court and works hard during practices.

Carlson has played in every match since her freshman year and every game this season.

Outside of volleyball, she’s majoring in journalism and completed her Teaching Media assignment at a magazine in New York last winter. While balancing school and athletics is often tough, Carlson takes it in stride.

“I don’t feel like I really miss out on anything,” Carlson said. “Sometimes when we have the three-hour labs at night and I have to come straight from (practice), that sucks, but it’s been fine.”

Like the rest of the Cats, Carlson is focused on helping the team make the NCAA tournament.

“I think Christie and I will be able to graduate happy if we make the NCAA tournament again,” Carlson said. “We did it my freshman and sophomore years, and last year was a pretty big disappointment.”

Reach Annie Martin at [email protected].