Letters To The Editor

A&O deserves funding

In four years at Northwestern the Associated Student Government senate never did anything for me. In my estimation the Senate did nothing but waste its time with the minutia of campus life. Case and point: the upcoming bills concerning the number of left handed desks in Harris 107 and clear plastic sleeves for wildcards.

The one important responsibility this organization has is to allocate the money that each student pays as part of their tuition for student activities. This money is to be put to use in a manner that benefits as many students as possible. While each group that serves student interests and needs is certainly deserving of a portion of these funds, few groups can claim to serve as many students as A&O Productions. Through its programming, A&O serves almost 10,000 students a year and last year was recognized as Student Group of the Year by the Center for Student Involvement.

Last year A&O conducted a survey designed to find out on what students were interested having their tuition dollars spent on. Students overwhelmingly suggested a show headlining Kanye West. After putting its finger on the pulse of the student population, A&O delivered the goods. And how does the ASG senate respond? By slashing the funding of A&O by one third for the fall quarter. The Senate has been revealed as what I always suspected it was, a middling group of political wannabees high on an inconsequential power trip.

Every cent should be returned to A&O and an apology issued to the student body for putting future Kanye West caliber events at risk.

– Andrew Tannenbaum,

WCAS ’05

Former Director of Production,

A&O Productions

Sloppy reporting in Daily

I was extremely disappointed in The Daily’s Nov. 9 article, “Organic Market Changes Name to Boost Sales.” The article fails to be objective about the differences between Whole Foods Market and Wild Oats and is simply sloppy journalism. The article frequently quotes students who feel that our prices are too expensive. However, no actual price comparisons are included in the article; rather, select shopper opinion is represented as truth.

Additionally, the inaccuracy stated by a Wild Oats employee about our record on fair-trade and animal rights is completely inaccurate and unfounded. It does not appear that anyone has done any actual research about Whole Foods Market and our record on these issues.

To clarify about Whole Foods Market: there is not one item in our store that is tested on animals – not one. In January 2005, we established the Animal Compassion Foundation to improve the quality of life of farm animals through educational services and research aimed at assisting ranchers and meat producers around the world to achieve a higher standard of animal welfare. Additionally, in January we received a Proggy award by PETA as the Animal Friendly Retailer of the Year.

Regarding the issue of fair trade, just last month we established the Whole Planet Foundation with a mission to create economic partnerships with the poor in those developing-world communities that supply our stores with product. Our coffee company, Allegro Coffee Company, has a program titled “High Five for Farmers” in which 5 percent of the net profits go back to the farmers where the coffee is grown.

As a Medill School of Journalism graduate, this sloppy work is embarrassing. I hope that in the future The Daily will remember the importance of objectivity and accuracy in its reporting.

– Ryan Puckett,

Medill ’01

PR specialist, Whole Foods Market

A little humility, please

I love watching Northwestern sports. As a student and a lifelong Evanston resident, I’ve held season basketball tickets since I was 12 and football tickets since I was 11. I’ve been in love with this school for as long as I can remember, and the athletic triumphs and heartbreaks I’ve undergone are a strong part of that love. But the one thing that irritates me is the behavior of some students at the game.

We are not a school that wins often enough to be arrogant, and as the perpetual underdog we should take any victory humbly. We don’t need students harassing Purdue’s fans at volleyball games. We don’t need students throwing food at the Illinois basketball team and coaching staff. We don’t need to chant “state school” like we are proud of our reputation as petty snobs.

I’m tired of having our victories and great upsets marred by poor sportsmanship. When we lose, such behavior only adds insult to injury. I know taunting the opponent is part of the game, but we should act like winning isn’t foreign to us and leave it to the scoreboard to put the other team in their place.

– Henry Webster,

Communication junior

ASG Technology Director