Senior breaks NU’s all-time tackle record (Football)

With his sixth tackle of the first quarter, senior linebacker Tim McGarigle broke Northwestern’s all-time tackles record.

The Butkus Award semifinalist, an award given annually to the nation’s top linebacker, recorded 13 tackles in the game, bringing his career total to 511.

“It’s a good feeling, but half that record goes to Barry Cofield,” McGarigle said. “I promise you if he wasn’t here in front of my for four years I would have made half the tackles I already made.”

McGarigle leads the nation with 122 tackles and is second in the country with 13.6 tackles per game.

“I think he’s pretty talented – but he gets everything that he’s got,” NU coach Randy Walker said. “Whatever he’s got, in that genetically what he was given, he gets it all. He leaves nothing behind.”

McGarigle is also a semifinalist for the Bednarik award and is on three different watchlists: the Bronko Nagurski Award given to the top defensive player, the Lombardi award for the nation’s top lineman, and the Lott Trophy awarded to the defensive player with the biggest impact on and off the field.

McGarigle leads the Big Ten in tackles.

“I look over at Tim McGarigle and see those steely-cold eyes that just scare the heck out of me,” Walker said. “I’m glad I ain’t lining up eight yards deep and running the ball at him.”

dirty talk

Two plays before Basanez threw his game-winning touchdown pass, he was scrambling to keep the drive alive.

On 1st-and-10 from the Iowa 32-yard line, Basanez rushed six yards before being hit by Iowa senior linebacker Chad Greenway. The hit was helmet-to-helmet and a little late, so he was called for a personal foul and the ball advanced nine yards.

“That kid was everywhere, he was head hunting,” Basanez said. “I’m glad they got that one in the end because that helmet to helmet stuff hurts pretty good.”

But Basanez didn’t stop there.

“That’s how they were playing all game,” he said. “They were trying to get us out of our game by grabbing facemasks, hitting guys late, hitting you in the head. I guess that’s how they teach football down there.”

Iowa was penalized five times for 50 yards, three of which were personal fouls.

When Basanez was asked about last season’s finale, he took his time in the spotlight to opine about that game.

First he said he was glad his team didn’t have to make the trip to risk bowl elgibility this year, but then he reconsidered.

“I guess now you can kind of bring your own referees, so that would be kind of nice.”

boy wonder

What could be better than your first career touchdown catch being a game winner – the win making your team bowl eligible.

Freshman wide receiver Ross Lane’s touchdown grab with 42 seconds left in the win over Iowa did just that.

“I was really happy, to say the least,” Lane said. “But we still had (42) seconds left, and you never know with these games.”

Lane recorded a career-high six catches in the game, tallying 57 yards.

“He got open,” Basanez said. “It just speaks for our wide receivers. We have so many guys that can make plays that it’s just getting them the ball and letting them do what they do.”

Reach Abe Rakov at [email protected].