Celebrate Diwali with food and dance

For most people, beginning the year anew in November may seem quite odd, but for those who celebrate the Hindi festival Diwali, New Year’s (or some form of it) has arrived, just the same.

Commonly known as the Festival of Lights, Diwali, or Deepvali, which translates to “row of lamps,” is an ancient Indian festival of popular proportions. The annual celebration, which occurs this year from Nov. 1-5, offers gratitude to the gods for the year’s blessings of health, peace, wealth and knowledge. Different rituals and deities are designated to each day, collectively representing the prominent ideology of knowledge (truth and virtue) illuminating the darkness (evil). Participants light colorful candles and fireworks, and partake in grand feasts and gambling games.

Diwali has breached borders and integrated itself into multicultural societies and communities, including in Chicago.

Vermilion, 10 W. Hubbard St., a restaurant offering a fusion of Indian and Nuevo Latino cuisine, is honoring the tradition by hosting their own version of Diwali.

“We’re excited about the event this year,” says restaurant manager Lindsay Haque. “We have Indian prefix meals, cocktails, and a festive decor to boot, complete with floral scented candles, various colored lights and intricate Indian patterns under Plexiglas, giving the restaurant a beautiful, elegant Indian feel.”

Vermilion also will offer a special menu for the event.

“For the first course of the regal meal, we’re offering malai (chicken kebab), goat biryani (peel off), pyaaz ka salaan, (spicy chicken chutney), and shani raita (yogurt sauce),” Haque says. “For desert we have phirnee, which is a rice flour pudding with nuts and saffron. Then, for the finish, we have sweet paan, which is a fennel and yeast candy digest wrapped in an edible leaf.”

The Diwali menu at Vermilion will be available on all five days of the festival from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Tuesday to Thursday, 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. Friday, and 5p.m. to 3 a.m. Saturday. Dancing to a fusion of Bollywood, bhangra and Indian music will occur Saturday from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m.

For more information on Diwali at Vermilion or upcoming events, call 312-527-4060 or visit www.metromix.com. or www.diwalifestival.org/diwali-celebrations.html.

– Taren Fujimoto