Bucks look to top Gophers

No. 12 Ohio State at Minnesota

Time: 11:00 a.m.

Place: Minneapolis, MInn.

Line: Ohio State, -3.5

TV: ABC

Records: Ohio State (5-2, 3-1 Big Ten), Minnesota (5-2, 2-2)

What’s at stake: Ohio State needs to keep pace with the conference leaders. Minnesota gets one last shot to show it belongs up top.

Overview: If it wasn’t for their punter having too much grease on his fingers, the Gophers would be 6-1 and in a tie for first place in the Big Ten. But after having two weeks to dwell on its special teams gaffe, Minnesota now has to face Ohio State. The Gophers have the top rushing offense in the country, averaging nearly 300 yards per game, but the Buckeyes have a defense on par with Penn State’s, who stymied running back Laurence Maroney when the two met this year. History will not be on Minnesota’s side. The Gophers have only beaten the Buckeyes twice since 1969.

Purdue at No. 11 Penn State

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Place: State College, Penn.

Line: Penn State, -14.5

TV: ABC

Records: Purdue (2-5, 0-4), Penn State (7-1, 4-1)

What’s at stake: Penn State looks to maintain its spot atop the conference. Purdue needs to find out if it still knows what a football is.

Overview: The Boilermakers are trying to stop the bleeding. They’re trying really hard. But nothing seems to be working, and they’ll need an awfully tight tourniquet this week. Purdue marches into Happy Valley against the first place Nittany Lions. Penn State must keep pace with Wisconsin who faces lowly Illinois this week. Coming off of a blowout win over Illinois, in which it scored 56 points before half-time, Penn State must stay focused, because the season is not over with Wisconsin and Michigan State still on the horizon.

Indiana at Michigan State

Time: 11:00 a.m.

Place: East Lansing, Mich.

Line: Michigan State, -18.5

TV: ESPN Gameplan

Records: Indiana (4-3, 1-3), Michigan State (4-3, 1-3)

What’s at stake: Indiana wants to make a splash against an established conference contender. Michigan State needs to end a rough three-game slide.

Overview: Fresh off of last week’s surprise beating at the hands of Northwestern, Michigan State needs to stop a three-game losing streak that has ended the title hopes of what had been a promising campaign. Indiana may be just the thing for them. The Hoosiers have only beaten sorry Illinois and lost their other three Big Ten games. A win for the Hoosiers, however, could be a turning point in rejuvenating this traditionally mediocre program. It would also bring Indiana one win away from being eligible for its first bowl in 12 years.

No. 15 Wisconsin at Illinois

Time: 11:00 a.m.

Place: Champaign, Ill.

Line: Wisconsin, -20

TV: ESPN

Records: Wisconsin (7-1, 4-1), Illinois (2-5, 0-4)

What’s at stake: Illinois tries for an upset win to salvage the season. Wisconsin tries not to break a nail.

Overview: You know those Geico commercials where that bear tears apart that helpless salmon? It’s kind of like that. For the second straight week, the Illini hosts a co-leader of the Big Ten. Maybe this time they can keep the halftime deficit below 50. This season has been nothing but painful for Illinois, which has played the role of whipping boy to just about everyone they’ve played. Wisconsin’s defense is not nearly as good as Penn State’s, so Illinois’ offense could try to make some noise against a soft secondary.

But in all likelihood, the only thing Illinois will celebrate after this game is that it’s going to be one week closer to the end of the season.

Reach David Kalan at

[email protected].