News Brief

Police arrested an Evanston Township High School sophomore Tuesday in connection with the Oct. 18 bomb threat at the school, Deputy Chief Joseph Bellino of Evanston Police Department said.

A police investigation found that the unidentified 15-year-old student used a cell phone taken from another student’s locker at ETHS, 1600 Dodge Ave., to call in the bomb threat, Bellino said.

Investigators accessed telephone records from the cell phone before service was stopped and spoke to the people who were called to determine the identity of the juvenile, he said.

EPD received a call at about 8 a.m. Oct. 18 from an unidentified caller who said a bomb would go off at the high school, Bellino said.

The school was evacuated but no signs of suspicious activity were found. Classes resumed after the building was declared safe at 9:15 a.m.

The student faces delinquency charges regarding the burglary of the cell phone and disorderly conduct charges in connection with the bomb threat, Bellino said.

A court date at the Juvenile Court of Cook County was still pending Tuesday afternoon.

This is the second Evanston student arrested in the past week after a series of recent bomb threats in the area.

A student at Nichols Middle School, 800 Greenleaf St., was arrested Thursday in connection with two notes containing bomb threats found at Nichols on Oct. 3 and Oct. 14.

It is unknown if the ETHS student will be returning to classes at the school, said Kathy Miehls, ETHS director of public relations.

“The student will go through a review board process and they will make the decision (about consequences for the student),” she said.

Miehls said she was pleased at the efficiency and speed of the policework involved in following the bomb threat.

“I’m delighted that the police have been so diligent in their investigation,” she said.

-Laura Olson